Skip to main content

Why do I see a charge for "NRA" tax on my Student Account?

If the payments you receive are in excess of tuition, fees, supplies required for courses, or book allowance, these are considered taxable expenses. Non-Qualified Scholarship and Fellowship payments are considered tax reportable by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). These payments may be subject to 14% or 30% federal tax withholding unless a treaty is applied.

If the payment will cover Non-qualified Education Expenses (i.e. room and board, travel or meals), the payment will be subject to 14% federal tax withholding. There is a tax obligation on all financial aid received in excess of tuition and fees. Any tax amount owed will be forward to SIUE Bursar Office in the fall and spring semesters.