Skip to main content

What happens to the taxes that are withheld?

The taxes that the University withholds are forwarded to the IRS and credited to your tax and/or Medicare liability for the calendar year. Illinois state tax withheld is forwarded to the state. Both the amount of taxable income reported from the waiver and the taxes withheld by the University are reported on Form W-2 and included with your other earnings and taxes. If you are an International Student (non-resident for tax purposes) and are using a treaty with available treaty benefits, your amounts will be included on your Form 1042 up to the treaty limit and then your Form W-2 for any non-treaty covered taxable income