FACULTY SENATE CONSTITUTION
The Faculty Senate is the body empowered to act as agent for the University Faculty with the delegated power to formulate policies in regard to all academic matters and other matters of faculty concern except those that relate to the Graduate School as set forth in the Bylaws and Statutes of the Board of Trustees.
The Faculty* of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville shall be defined as indicated in the Bylaws and Statutes of the Board of Trustees of Southern Illinois University.
The Faculty Senate shall have direct access to the Chancellor of the University.
- The Faculty Senate members shall be elected by the faculty from among the faculty as defined in Article I.
- The Officers of the Faculty Senate shall be elected by the faculty from the membership of the Faculty Senate and shall remain members of the Faculty Senate during their term of office.
- Each elected Faculty Senate member shall designate an alternate to attend and vote at Faculty Senate meetings.
The officers of the Faculty Senate shall be President, President-Elect, and Past-President.
- The Faculty Senate shall implement the provisions of this Constitution by Bylaws as it may choose to adopt.
- The Faculty Senate shall have the authority to stipulate its own governance structure, define term of office, direct election of officers, remove officers and members for cause, control agendas and meetings, and create and abolish committees, in accord with procedures described in its Bylaws.
A. Articles of the Constitution of the Faculty Senate may be amended by a majority of ballots cast by the University Faculty voting by secret ballot in a general referendum.
B. Ratification of this document will be by a majority of ballots cast by the Faculty voting by secret ballot in a general referendum.
*Membership. The university faculty at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale and Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville shall consist of the chancellor, all professors, associate professors, and assistant professors, and those instructors on continuing appointment. (Source: Statutes of the Board of Trustees of SIU, Article 3, Section 3a, January, 1996.)