Tuition and Fee Deferments and refunds
Tuition and Fee Deferment Policy - 4D1
- Aid-Based Deferments
The following conditions must be established if a student is to receive approval for deferred payment of tuition and fees:
- The student must have a verified financial assistance package in an amount at least equal to the amount of tuition and fees for which deferred payment is requested. Verification must be made in accordance with criteria and procedures which are incorporated in this policy.
- The student must not be on accounts receivable nor in default on a previous NDSL Loan.
- Financial aid recipients must be in conformity with the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
- Hardship Deferments
A student who is not receiving financial assistance will be considered for tuition and fee deferment if the following conditions are met:
- The student is not on accounts receivable.
- If deferments have been granted in the past, the record must show that payment was made by the established date.
- The student is in good academic standing.
- The student must document a financial hardship. A financial hardship consists of a major necessary and unexpected expense or a significant loss of income which disrupts the student's financial circumstances to the extent that he or she is temporarily unable to meet the costs of tuition and fees.
- The student must substantiate the means which will permit the deferment to be paid by the established deadline.
- A deposit totaling 25% of the student's full tuition and fees must be made before the deferment is written.
- Further Deferment Information
- Students applying for deferments based on anticipated financial assistance must present proof of such assistance at the time of application. Fee receipt cards and fee assessment cards must also be presented.
- Students seeking deferments must apply at the Office of Student Financial Aid
- Promissory Note
Each student receiving a deferment will be required to sign a promissory note.
Students who receive deferments are subject to the University policy concerning refunds.
Approved by Chancellor effective 6/2/83
This policy was issued on January 2, 1997, replacing the February 1, 1996 version.
Document Reference: 4D1
Origin: OP 6/2/83