Media Contacts and University Positions
To ensure the best possible University relations, it is essential that all information concerning official University positions be correct and accurately reflect the posture of the University. With this in mind, the following serve as guidelines:
- The determination of the official position of the University on a given topic, issue, question, etc. is the responsibility of the Chancellor.
- The Executive Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for coordinating external releases concerning University positions. The Executive Director will be briefed from time to time by the Chancellor or his or her staff, and the Executive Director will be responsible for communicating University positions to the media.
- Contacts with media representatives concerning University positions should not be initiated internally without coordination by the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Should a staff member be contacted by a media representative with respect to an official University position, he/she should refer the person to Marketing and Communications.
- To maximize good public relations for the institution, the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications will, on many occasions, encourage media contacts with staff members who have specialized knowledge or expertise. In carrying out such contacts, the staff member's response should be limited to the area of his/her responsibility.
Approved by Chancellor effective 3/3/77
This policy was issued on August 25, 2004, replacing the February 1, 1996 version.
Document Reference: 2C2
Origin: OP 3/3/77