SIUE is part of the Southern Illinois University System. Chartered in 1869, Southern Illinois University, first known as Southern Illinois Normal University, opened its doors for instruction in Carbondale in 1874 in a one-building teacher training institution. In 1947, the name was changed to Southern Illinois University, reflecting the institution’s expanding academic mission.
The two institutions that constitute Southern Illinois University today - Southern Illinois University Carbondale, with a School of Medicine in Springfield and partnership in the University Center of Lake County, and Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, with a School of Dental Medicine in Alton and a Center in East St. Louis. Governed by a Board of Trustees, the SIU system operates with a total budget of approximately $867 million and employs more than 7,000 faculty, staff, and administrators who serve over 28,000 students.
Visit the SIU System site.