|Chris Gordon, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Construction
Associate Dean, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Alumni Association Great Teacher Award 2016
Department of Construction Outstanding Teacher Award 2007,
- FIATECH Celebration of Engineering and Technology Innovation Award: Outstanding Mind, 2006
- Paul P. Christiano Distinguished Service Award, 2005
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Sigma Xi
January 2007-present Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Dean, School of Engineering September 2016 - present
Construction Leadership Institute, July 2009 - present
taught: Introduction to Construction, Construction
Materials and Methods,
Baobab Health Partnership (
Renewable Energy Volunteer for design and construction of wind power system
for rural health clinic.
Carnegie Mellon University (
Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant. Research Assistant for NSFsponsored
Advanced Sensor-based Detection and Management of Construction
Defects project; Teaching Assistant for Project Management and Advanced
Project Management classes.
AllStarFleet Inc. / Globeranger Corp. (
Director of R&D and Solutions Project Manager in early-stage
start-up focused on fleet monitoring, maintenance, and management software for
construction equipment. AllStarFleet was acquired by Globeranger Corp.
Product development consultant for grass-roots development of business model
and product. YardTrader was incorporated as AllStarFleet Inc.
Swinerton & Walburg (
Project Engineer on $150 million GAP World Headquarters project. Performed
RFI coordination and estimating.
1998 Paric Corp. (
Intern on $25 million Southwest Bank Headquarters construction project.
Performed preconstruction MEPF coordination and estimating.
1997 Drees & Sommer, AG (
Intern on $2.5 billion Potsdamer Platz multi-use development. Performed
schedule updating and analysis, photodocumentation.
1996 Engineering Design Source, Inc. (
Intern for civil engineering design and surveying firm. Designed, estimated curbs
and sidewalks; performed traffic analyses; and surveyed existing sewer systems.
- Kiziltas, S., B. Akinci, E. Ergen, P. Tang, and C. Gordon, (2008). “Technological assessment and process implications of field data capture technologies for construction and facility / infrastructure management.” Accepted for publication in Sensors in Construction and Infrastructure Management, Special Issue of the Journal of Information Technology in Construction.
- Gordon, C., B. Akinci and J. H. Garrett, Jr., (2008). “ Automated planning support for on-site construction inspection.” Automation in Construction, Vol. 17: 6, pp. 705-718.
- Gordon, C. , B. Akinci and J. H. Garrett, Jr., "Formalism for construction inspection planning: requirements and process concept" Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Volume 21, Number 1, pp. 29-38, January 2007.
- Akinci, B., F. Boukamp, C. Gordon, D. Huber, C. Lyons, K. Park, (2006). "A Formalism for Utilization of Sensor Systems and Integrated Project Models for Active Construction Quality Control." Automation in Construction Vol. 15: 2, pp. 124- 138.
- Gordon, C., B. Akinci, and J.H. Garrett, Jr, “Characterization and search of inspection plan spaces developed using a component-based planning formalism.” In review, Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering.
C. and K.T. Slattery, (2008). “Spatial Inspection of Steel
Pile Driving Operations using Laser Scan Data,” Associated
Schools of Construction 2008 Conference,
K., D. Slattery, and C. Gordon, (2008). “Evaluation of 3D
laser scanning for highway construction applications,”
Associated Schools of Construction 2008 Conference,
- Gordon, C. “Design and Implementation of an In-class Exercise to Monitor Equipment Production.” Associated Schools of Construction, Region III 2007 Conference, Downer’s Grove, IL. October 24-27, 2007.
Jr., J. H., B. Akinci, S. Matthews, C. Gordon, H. Wang, V.
Singhvi. (2006). "Sensor-driven proactive management of
infrastructure systems," Proceedings of the 13th EG-ICE
Workshop: Intelligent Computing in Engineering and
Architecture, June 25-30,
C. B. Akinci, and J.H. Garrett, Jr., (2005). "Inspection
Planning in Support of Defect Detection" International
Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering
Symposium, Sept. 14-16, 2005,
C. and Akinci, B. (2005). "Technology and Process
Assessment Of Using LADAR and Embedded Sensing For
Construction Quality Control." Construction Research
C. B. Akinci, F. Boukamp, and D. Huber, (2005).
“Assessment of Visualization Software for Support of
Construction Site Inspection Tasks Using Data Collected
from Reality Capture Technologies.” International
Conference on Computing in Civil Engineering.
C., B. Akinci, J.H. Garrett, Jr., (2004). "An Approach for
Planning Sensor-Based Inspection of the Built
Environment." Xth International Conference on Computing in
Civil and Building Engineering, Bauhaus-Universität
C., B. Akinci, J.H. Garrett, Jr., (2003). "The Need for
Value Analysis and Planning for Effective Quality Control
Technology Decision-making." Towards a Vision for
Information Technology in Civil Engineering, 11/15-16,
C., F. Boukamp, D. Huber, E. Latimer, K. Park, B. Akinci,
(2003). "Combining Reality Capture Technologies for
Construction Defect Detection: A Case Study." EIA9:
E-Activities and Intelligent Support in Design and the
Built Environment, 9th EuropIA International Conference,