The Payroll area is responsible for the preparation of all payroll checks for all employees, graduate assistants and student workers. The Payroll process includes reporting all applicable earnings and taxable benefits and withholding the required federal and state income taxes.
Payroll processes four different kinds of payrolls according to the Payroll Calendar. All payrolls are processed at least a week in advance to meet banking and university cutoff requirements.
|Payroll ||type ||pay dates adjusted for holidays ||annual frequency |
|Faculty Payroll ||salary ||the 16th and the end of the month ||24 payrolls a year |
|Semi-Monthly Payroll ||salary ||the 16th and the end of the month ||24 payrolls a year |
|Bi-weekly Payroll ||hourly ||every other Friday ||26 payrolls a year |
|Student Payroll ||hourly ||every other Thursday (opposite week) ||26 payrolls a year |
Functions of the payroll office include:
- Preparation of Payroll Checks
- Assist employees with Direct Deposit set up and changes
- Assist with request for early W-2’s via CougarNet (printed from self service)
- Form W-2 Preparation
- Form 1042 Preparation
- Receive Defer pay form from academic year employees
- Determine payroll tax treatment for International students with Visa Status
- Process mandatory deductions such as garnishments and bankruptcy withholdings
- Taxation of moving expenses, vehicle usage and applicable tuition waivers
- Determine Tax treatment for Foreign National Contractual Service Vouchers
Payroll also handles the following services for departments;
- Process Payroll Labor re-distributions
- Payroll Certification training for fiscal officers and delegates
- Banner Department Time Entry set up and training for users
- Terminate jobs in the Banner system upon employee termination/retirement
Payroll complies with all applicable federal and state laws and university polices.
Please also review the Payroll FAQ’s for more information regarding payroll processes, related forms and W-2’s, W-4’s and pay statements.
University Payroll Policies: