Skip to main content

What is the difference between forms W-2 and 1042-S?

The IRS form W-2 is used to report annual taxable federal and state wages. Treaties for nonresident aliens (NRA) may exempt the employee from federal taxes.  If you are a NRA and are exempt from federal taxes, then you will receive a form 1042-S.