Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE

University Housing
Housing Header

Move Living Options


Jump to ...

Summer Housing

Students who attend classes the previous spring semester and have a housing contract for the fall semester may live on campus during the summer without being enrolled in a class. Otherwise, you must be enrolled for a minimum of one course during the summer semester. Evergreen Hall and Cougar Village apartments are open for summer housing residents. Current University Housing residents can apply for summer housing when going through the reservation process and do not need to complete a new housing application. Non-housing residents can apply for summer housing at

Off-Campus Housing

The links below can help you find accommodations in the Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, and surrounding areas. This site is not comprehensive and may not include all rental properties in the area.

The Off-Campus Housing site features a roommate search. Post your profile and search for potential roommates based on gender, cleanliness, social habits, and more. If you already have a place to live, you also can post property details to show your apartment or house to potential roommates.

If you are a landlord or property manager and would like us to add your information to our website, please contact Customer Service at (877) 895-1234 or, or visit the off-campus housing link below.

Conference Services

Accommodations at the Residence Halls

Each residence hall can house about 500. Each building is divided into 11 wings on three levels. Resident rooms are arranged by suites with two rooms sharing a bathroom. Each wing has a social lounge and a study lounge.

The building has a computer lab, vending area, laundry, and meeting rooms. The entrance to guest rooms is monitored by staff 24 hours per day. Overnight parking is available for use by conference guests with permits.

Amenities include:

  • Linen Service
  • Air-Conditioning
  • Overnight parking
  • Carpeted rooms
  • In-building laundries
  • Computer lab
  • Meeting rooms
  • Staff available 24 hours per day
  • Entrance monitored by staff 24 hours/day

For more information or to schedule conference housing, please contact Rex Jackson, Assistant Director of Residence Life at (618) 650-4654 or

Family Housing

Approximately 100 families reside in two- and three-bedroom apartments at Cougar Village. Apartments are available both furnished and unfurnished. Students, faculty or staff must show proof of marriage, civil union legally recognized in Illinois or domestic partnership to live in Family Housing. Visit the family housing webpage for more information. 

Domestic Partnerships and Civil Unions

SIUE houses about 100 families in the Family Housing area of Cougar Village Apartments. For students, faculty or staff to live in Family Housing, they must show proof of marriage, civil union legally recognized in Illinois or domestic partnership as stated below.

To qualify for Domestic Partnership Housing, two persons (one must be either SIUE student/faculty/staff) need to be in accordance with the following criteria:

  • Be each other’s sole domestic partner and intend to remain so indefinitely.
  • Neither can be married or in a civil union.
  • Each must be at least 18 years of age and mentally competent to consent to contract.
  • May be not related by blood to a degree of closeness which would prohibit legal marriage (in the state in which you legally reside).
  • Be jointly responsible for each other’s common welfare and share financial obligations. This may be demonstrated by the existence of three (3) of the following items.
    • Domestic Partnership Agreement (legal document obtained from attorney)
    • Joint mortgage or lease
    • Designation of domestic partner as beneficiary for life insurance
    • Designation of domestic partner as beneficiary for retirement contract
    • Designation of domestic partner as primary beneficiary in student/faculty/staff’s will or of student/faculty/staff in domestic partner’s will
    • Durable property and healthcare powers of attorney
    • Joint ownership of a motor vehicle
    • Joint checking account
    • Joint credit account

If you and your partner meet the above criteria and are interested in domestic partnership housing, complete the family housing application, domestic partnership statement, and turn in required supporting documents to the Central Housing Office. Please contact the Central Housing Office at (618) 650‑3931 or for more information or questions.

Transgender Housing

A transgender student looking for a supportive living arrangement in University Housing should contact the Central Housing Office at (618) 650‑0546 Because of limitations in available housing options, there is no guarantee that all the student’s preferences can be met, but we are committed to working with the student to find the best possibler accommodations.

Housing assignments for transgender students are guided by the following values:

  • Respect for and affirmation of the student’s gender identity and/or expression.
  • Prioritized attention to the student’s physical safety and emotional health.
  • Enhance the student’s opportunity for success at SIUE by finding the best match between the student’s needs and the options available.

Statement on Diversity
University Housing is committed to engaging students in educational experiences in an open, civil, and respectful climate that will prepare them for global citizenship and lifelong learning.

Frequently Asked Questions
What does transgender mean?
The Transgender Law and Policy Institute (TLPI) defines transgender “ ... as an umbrella term encompassing: pre-operative, post-operative, and non-operative transsexual people; cross-dressers; feminine men and masculine women; and more generally, anyone whose gender identity or expression differs from conventional expectations of masculinity or femininity.”

What is gender identity?
Gender identity describes the gender with which a person identifies (e.g. whether one uses man, woman, or more individualized terminology to describe oneself). It is often referred to as an individual’s internal or psychological sense of gender. Gender identity may or may not differ from one's legal sex which is assigned at birth based on biological characteristics. Gender expression refers to the way persons feel most comfortable expressing gender identity, often made socially visible through behavior, language, and clothing.

Gender-Inclusive Housing

Gender-inclusive housing is housing in which members of the opposite gender live together in a living unit/apartment. This option is offered only to upper-class students. If you are interested in gender-inclusive housing, please contact the Central Housing Office at (618) 650‑3931 or for more information and availability.

maintenance issues

Upcoming Events

Looking to get Involved?

University Housing has numerous leadership opportunities. From Area Council to NRHH, our staff takes the opportunity to get to know and understand the strengths of each resident.

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff socialoff