Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE

University Housing
Housing Header


Jump to ...


Does SIUE require students to live on campus?

For the 2017-2018 academic year, the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs has suspended the residency requirement and it will not be enforced. Students do not have to fill out a waiver form.

Full Residency Requirement Policy

Can I move in early to my assigned space?

All early arrival requests must be submitted to the Associate Director of Housing for review and approval. An early move in request is a request by any student to move in prior to their designated move in day as designated in their assignment email/letter. There is no guarantee you will be able to move into your assigned space early, regardless of the requested reason. We do our best to accommodate all students but we are also balancing preparing spaces for new residents, cleaning schedule, and staff availability.

  • If a student wishes to move in prior to the designated move in day, the student must email their request to, fax it to (618)650-3864 or mail it to University Housing at Campus Box 1056, Edwardsville, IL 62026-1056.
  • Requests for the fall semester will not be accepted after August 1. Early move-in requests are not accepted for the spring semester. Requests for the summer term will not be accepted after May 1.
  • If a student is permitted to move in early, the student will be assessed a daily fee based on the type of assigned space until his/her designated move-in day. This fee will be placed on the student’s account.

If you have more questions, please contact the Central Housing Office at (618) 650‑3931 or

Who is responsible for cleaning student rooms?

Each University Housing resident is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of his/her suite (room and bathroom) or apartment. University Housing staff assists residents with this process by helping them have conversations with their roommates about sharing the cleaning responsibility. Housing Staff conducts cleaning and safety inspections several times a year. During the inspection, staff enters living units, and assesses whether the unit is clean and safe by Housing standards (standards can be found in the Living Guide at

When will University Housing staff notify parents/guardians of student behavior?

University Housing will notify a parent/guardian by letter when an underage student has been found responsible for a drug or alcohol violation. Students will meet with a university official (often the Community Director or Assistant Community Director). During this meeting, the student will have the opportunity to sign a release of information form that allows the university official to discuss the matter of concern with parents/guardians. If the student does not sign that form, the university official may not discuss the confidential discussion with other parties.

How does the space-change process work?

University Housing seeks to foster an environment that promotes opportunities for students to become civically, socially, and academically responsible persons who are engaged members of their current and future communities. Research shows that living in a community with people from different backgrounds and interests is an integral part of the college experience. Our goal is for students to learn and grow from their experience living in University Housing, so it is important to understand that a space change is not be the first consideration when issues arise between roommates.

Roommate conflict can be difficult and uncomfortable to deal with. However, there are benefits to experiencing conflict; these types of situations provide us with opportunities to strengthen our communication skills, better understand our values, and learn to compromise and negotiate all of these are necessary real-world skills.

Space changes are a last resort in dealing with roommate conflict. except in emergency situations, may take place beginning the third week of the semester (after two full weeks of classes). This gives University Housing time to assign students that need assignments, process cancellations, and identify open spaces. Space changes typically are not granted during the summer due to our facilities maintenance schedule.

University Housing has very few open spaces during the academic year, so the opportunity for space changes is limited and not guaranteed.

How can I change my room if I do not get along my roommate?

If a request to change space is the result of difficulties with current roommate(s), the student will first have a conversation with his/her roommate(s) and communicate his/her concerns and needs. This conversation should take place in person (not by text or social media) in a manner that seeks to resolve, not escalate, the conflict.

What if I am unable to resolve the conflict on my own?

If a student is unable to successfully address the conflict with his/her roommate, he or she should consult with their Resident Assistant (RA). The RA will help try to improve the living environment by mediating the conflict and facilitating a written roommate agreement (Roommate Connections). Students should not wait until the situation escalates; they should be proactive in appropriately addressing roommate concerns when they arise.

What if consulting with my RA does not resolve the conflict?

If consulting with the RA does not adequately address the concerns, the next step is for the student to consult with his/her Community Director (in the hall office or the Commons Building). The Community Director will assist with mediating the conflict by scheduling a meeting with all roommates.

What if I have tried these steps and I am still unhappy with my roommate situation?

If residents have made good-faith effort to address the conflict in a mature, respectful, civil manner, the Community Director will allow a resident to fill out a Space Change Request Form. University Housing is not able to grant all space change requests due to space availability. Priority goes to students living in temporary assignments and then emergency situations (determined by Housing staff). Residents are able to participate in an approved room swap if no open spaces are available.

Before a resident receives a list of available spaces, he or she will need to complete an online module. The purpose of the module is to provide students with information about how to successfully live with a roommate.

After the resident completes the module, the Community Director will email the resident a list of open spaces via to his/her SIUE email account. It is the student’s responsibility to meet with potential new roommates before choosing a new space.

Residents will have three business days to pick a space from the list and to begin the space-change process (check out of old space, check into new space). If a resident does not identify a new space within 3 business days, his/her Space Change Request Form becomes null and void and he/she drops to the bottom of the list to change space.

What is a parent’s role with a roommate conflict?

We ask parents to understand that University Housing needs to work directly with the student(s) when problems arise. It is a valuable growth opportunity for students to learn to successfully address conflicts themselves. All students involved in the conflict must be part of the conversation to find a mutually beneficial solution. University Housing staff members will not address an issue until all sides have been heard. If your student needs assistance, encourage him or her to contact the RA first, and if necessary, the Community Director.

Whom should students contact for room repairs?

Students need to initiate the repair by submitting a Maintenance Request to University Housing Facilities Management (UHFM). UHFM responds to student initiated repair requests as a first priority.

Are students required to have property insurance?

Residents are strongly encouraged to insure their personal belongings while living in University Housing. University Housing does not insure the personal property of residents. Students can look into renter’s insurance or their parent/guardian homeowners policy for potential coverage options.


What can the RA, Front Desk, Community Director, and Secretary assist my student with?

RAs and Front Desk Managers should always be the first line in answering any resident question. These employees are trained to serve as resources. They are proficient in policy knowledge and know how to appropriately refer residents.

The hall secretary can help students with questions they may have about the laundry, vending machines, and general concerns. The secretary will refer the resident to the Community Director if necessary.

The Community Director can best assist residents with questions about policy, situations where residents may have been documented for policy violation, roommate concerns, and general housing questions. Community Directors have offices in the building they are responsible for. These staff can be seen in attendance at many of the events that take place in their area of responsibility. Any student is welcome to make an appointment with the Community Director – through the secretary – if he or she would like to.

What do I do if my son or daughter won’t answer my phone calls?

If your student does not answer your phone calls for a prolonged period of time, to the point that you are concerned for his/her well being, contact the Hall/Cougar Village Commons number, and the secretary will forward your concern to the appropriate staff member. If this is an emergency and you cannot get hold of staff, please contact the SIUE Police Department at (618) 650‑3324.

I keep hearing about bed bugs in the news. What information do you have available about bed bugs?

We have an information site dedicated to educating residents and their families about bed bugs, how they can be prevented, what to look for and more. Please visit for more information.

How can parents gain access to their student’s housing information?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an application product of the U.S. Department of Education (that includes SIUE). Basically this means that without the properly signed documentation, we cannot discuss your student’s records with you. That includes their housing bill and assignment, roommate information, enrollment status, and more.

In order to gain access to the housing-related information, your student can come to the Central Housing Office and fill out a form allowing you access to their housing information and records. When you call or come into the office, you will have to provide a password that the student provides us on the form. We will keep that form on file.

What can I do if I am concerned about another student?

If you know of a student that you believe may be at risk of harm, or who may intend to harm others, please feel free to use the Care Report to communicate your concern to someone at the University. We especially encourage you to contact the office of the Dean of Students, because in many circumstances, Counseling Services may not be able to intervene due to issues of confidentiality.

Where can I store my bicycle?

It is strongly encouraged that all bicycles are registered with University Police. Registering bicycles with University Police does not cost anything and will provide assistance in contacting residents should the need arises. Bicycles may not be stored inside the residence halls, Evergreen Hall, or Cougar Village. In addition, bicycles may not be stored in Cougar Village breezeways, hallways, or balconies. Bicycles must be locked to bike racks located near the buildings. Bikes locked to lampposts, benches, or trees will be removed.

Focused Interest Communities

What is a FIC?

FIC stands for Focused Interest Communities. These communities are created to intentionally place students with similar interests together within residence halls so they can learn with and from each other.

Are FICs considered learning communities?

Yes. A learning community is a broad term that encompasses a variety of living environments on college campuses. There are a variety of ways these can be arranged. Some universities arrange their residence halls so each resident is placed in a living learning community; some universities do not have learning communities at all. Living-learning communities can be based on students who share a major (eg: nursing), a common interest (eg: sustainability) or a shared experience (eg: being a freshman).

Focused Interest Communities is the preferred name SIUE gives to our specific living-learning opportunities. The campus community shortens the name Focused Interest Community to “FIC.”

How did FICs/learning communities come to exist?

The creation of FICs as a step forward is actually a move toward the original design of historically traditional college campuses such as Oxford and Cambridge in England. Students were assigned to houses based on their majors and led by faculty members who lived with, educated and mentored their students within a more personalized relationship. SIUE FICs are designed to recreate some of the intentionality of these pioneering environments.

The current concept of learning communities has roots in an experimental program during the 1920s at the University of Wisconsin, where a professor designed a program to combat the new system in higher education in which students chose from electives to create their general education curriculum. There was concern that choosing electives challenged the interdisciplinary nature of a university education. This initiative was short-lived; however the concept was revitalized in the 1960s, when veterans returning from the war doubled the enrollment at American colleges and universities. Due to large enrollments the need arose to create smaller, more natural clusters of students within the larger context of campus.

Who can live in a FIC?

Anybody who has a housing contract can live in an FIC. Simply browse our website to see which FICs are available and make your selection on the housing application. Some FICs are designated for first-year students, some are for upper-class residents, so make sure to select the right one for you.

What would I do if I live in a FIC?

Students who choose to live in an FIC do the same things that any student does — go to class, make friends with people on your floor and attend events sponsored on campus. The only difference is that if you live in an FIC, the people around you will share some similar interests, and the residence life staff and faculty will plan special events targeted toward the topic of your FIC. Additionally, some FICs are coordinated so that everyone in that FIC takes a class together. This can improve your academics by promoting study sessions and group accountability for succeeding in class. The experience of each student living in an FIC is in their control. Students may choose to work together to increase their experiences by planning service project or immersing themselves in topics of interest to improve their own educational experience and goals.

When and where can I sign up for a FIC?

Incoming freshmen apply for their FICs by marking their selection on their housing application. Upper-class transfer students also can select an FIC preference on their new housing application. Current residents who are interested in upper-class FICs will be informed of opportunities by campus emails and the Reservation Process.

My FIC has a connected class. How do I sign up for it?

Students who have a connected course will be placed in that class. When you arrive to schedule classes at Springboard, your selection should already be on your schedule.

How do I know which FIC is best for me?

Take time to browse the information available on the University Housing website,

How much does it cost?

There is no additional cost to live in an FIC. It is offered as a value-added component intended to augment the services already provided by University Housing.

Why should I live in an FIC?

A large body of research shows the following benefits for students who live in learning communities such as the FICs at SIUE. For example:

  • Enhanced academic and social opportunities
  • Improved GPA
  • Improved connection to faculty
  • Greater involvement in learning
  • Increased satisfaction with your SIUE experience
  • Increased persistence to graduation


Our University Housing professional staff recruitment brochure provides information about the campus climate, job description, department culture and much more. We encourage you to explore this brochure and have many of your questions answered about employment in University Housing at SIUE.

Where is Edwardsville, Ill.?

Edwardsville is just 20 minutes northeast of St. Louis, Mo. St. Louis Lambert International Airport is just 30 minutes from campus. Many faculty and staff who work at SIUE live in St. Louis and commute across the river to campus.

How often are live-in staff members on duty?

Twelve professional staff members share duty: 6 Community Directors and 6 Assistant Community Directors. Each is on duty 2-3 times per month. Two professional staff members are on duty during peak times such as Opening and Closing. While on duty, professional staff members are allowed to be off campus as long as they are able to respond within 15 minutes.

What kind of supervisory experience will I get at SIUE?

Each Assistant Community Director directly supervises a student staff and assists in the development of the Resident Assistant staff under direction of the Community Director. Each Community Director directly supervises one Assistant Community Director (graduate assistant) and 11-16 Resident Assistants.

What resources are available to help me stay balanced?

Live-in staff members are supervised by an Assistant Director of Residence Life who is committed to work/life balance. In addition, SIUE offers a state-of-the-art fitness center, miles of Madison County Transit outdoor trails, and professional massages for staff at a reduced rate. Community Directors are strongly encouraged to use their vacation time.

Are live-in staff members allowed to have pets?

University Housing welcomes your fish.

maintenance issues

Upcoming Events

Looking to get Involved?

University Housing has numerous leadership opportunities. From Area Council to NRHH, our staff takes the opportunity to get to know and understand the strengths of each resident.

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff socialoff