Enhancing Therapy with Psychotropic Medication
When used together, psychotropic medication and therapy are the most effective treatment for depression, anxiety, and other mental health concerns. Medications are prescribed when symptoms of mental or emotional illness are severe, persistent, and interfere with normal functioning. On occasion, two or more medications maybe prescribed to relieve multiple symptoms. All drugs require careful monitoring.
Why Use Medication for Mental Health?
What should I ask my Physician/Therapist?
- What symptom relief can I expect? And when?
- I know I am suppose to take it as it's prescribed, but what will happen if I miss a dose?
- What are possible side effects and how long might they last?
- What initial and ongoing tests/lab work is required?
- How long might I be on the medicine, and how do I discontinue?
- Will my routine activities or diet be restricted?
- What follow-up medication appointments and treatment sessions are required?
- What do I do if I want to stop taking my medication?