P. Narayana Swamy
||Physics Department, Box 1654|
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1654
||Science Building, Room SL-0235|
- B.S.(Honors) Physics, 1952-56, Delhi University, Delhi, India
- M.S. Physics, 1956-58, Delhi University, Delhi, India
Title: The Problem of Electron Self-energy and vacuum polarization in quantum
- Ph.D. Theoretical Physics 1958-63, Delhi University, Delhi,
Thesis Title: The technique of Green functions in field theory of
strong interactions -- Development of a relativistic non-perturbative
approximation scheme and application to the problem of the electromagnetic
structure of the nucleon.
- Hansraj College, Delhi, India, 1958-1959, Lecturer
- Delhi University, India, 1959-1964, Research Fellow
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bombay, India, 1964-65, Fellow of
- International Center for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy, 1965-1966,
- Syracuse University, NY, Summer 1966, Research Associate
- Centre Europeene Recherche Nucleaire (CERN), 1966-1967, Visiting Scientist
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bombay, India, 1967-1968, Fellow
- International Center for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy, Summer 1969,
- American University in Beirut, Lebanon, 1968-1969, Asst. Professor
- Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville IL (SIUE), 1969-1971, Assistant
- SIUE, 1971-1977, Associate Professor of Physics
- SIUE, 1977-1983, Professor of Physics
- SIUE Professor of Physics and Department Chair, December 1983 - December
- SIUE 1992-2001, Professor of Physics
- SIUE September 2001, Professor Emeritus
Quantum field theory, S-matrix theory, Regge poles, Relativistic Bound state
problems, Symmetries, Current algebra, Spontaneous symmetry breakdown, Quantum
electrodynamics, Quantum chromodynamics, gauge theories, finite temperature
field theory, Superconductivity, Quantum Hall effect, statistical mechanics,
q-deformed oscillators, mathematical physics.
Referee Review work
International Journal of Theoretical Physics, Journal of Physics A, B, International Journal of Modern Physics, Modern Physics Letters, etc.
COLLABORATIONS, INSTITUTIONAL AFFILIATIONS, RECENT
- Physics Department, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona
- Dipartimento di Fisica, Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy
- Univ. di Padova Dipartimento di Fisica, INFN, Padova, Italy
- Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy
- Dipartimento di Fisica, Univ. di Torino, INFN, Torino, Italy
- Physics Department, Delhi University, Delhi, India
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai, India
- Physics Department, St. Louis University, St.Louis Missouri
RECENT CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS, COLLOQUIA
International High Energy Physics Conference, Vancouver BC, Canada, July
1998: "Georgi-Goldstone Realization of Chiral Symmetry in Quantum Chromodynamics
SIU Physics colloquium, September 1998, "Maxwell Equations from Schroedinger
St.Louis University, August 1998, "q-deformed oscillators, classical limits
and zero-point energy
SIU Carbondale Physics colloquium, January 1997, "q-deformed harmonic
oscillators and statistical mechanics
SIU Physics colloquium, March 1999, "Infinities in Physics and what we can
learn from transfinite numbers in Mathematics"
Frontiers in Contemporary Physics Conference, Vanderbilt University,
Nashville TN, May 1997, "Spontaneously broken Chiral Symmetry in QCD"
SIU Physics Colloquium, September 1997, "Harmonic oscillators and More
Division of Particles and Fields of the APS, August 1996, Minneapolis MN
"Gell-Mann-Low Eigenvalue problem in finite Quantum Electrodynamics"
"Infinities in Mathematics: implications for Physics and Philosophy", May 3,
1999, SIU Department of Physics Colloquium
"Nonextensive entropy in q-deformed Quantum Groups", International Workshop
on Classical and Quantum Complexity and Nonextensive Thermodynamics, University
of North Texas, Denton TX, April 3, 2000.
"q-deformed structures and Non-extensive statistics", International
conference on Non-extensive Thermodynamics, Cagliari, Italy, May 23--30, 2001.
"Nothing", Colloquium on the physical, mathematical and philosophical
aspects of vacuum, Department of Physics SIUE, August 30, 2001.
"Fundamental Units, Constants, Dimensions and all that", Colloquium on the
optimum number of units in physics, Department of Physics SIUE, February 7,
"Is there a God: interrogative", Colloquium presented at the Department of
Physics, Saint Louis University, March 19, 2003, on the existence of a Creator,
from the description of nature in the context of experimental physics.
"Interpolating Statistics from general principles", presented at the
International Conference NEXT2003, Villasimius, Italy, September 21--28, 2003.
"q-Fermions", presented at the
International Conference on Statistical Physics, Sigma-Phi, Crete, Greece, August 2005.
Lecture presentations to students and faculty in the "Quantum Optics Study group", SIUE Physics Department, Spring 2005 and Fall 2006.
Authors' names are listed in alphabetical order in all publications.
- "Radiative corrections to bremstrahlung," Nuc. Phys. 10, 629
(1959), with A.N. Mitra and L.K. Pande.
- "A note on Pi-Pi interaction," Nuc. Phys. 20, 491 (1960),
with A.N. Mitra and R.P. Saxena.
- "Low Energy Pion Nucleon Scattering in the State P1/2, T = 3/2," Nuovo Cimento 33, 468
(1964), with L.K. Pande.
- "Self Consistent Calculation for Nucleon Mass, Pion-Nucleon Coupling
Constants and Low Energy P1/2, T = 1/2 Pion
Nucleon Scattering Phase Shifts," Phys. Rev. 136 B, 1790 (1964),
with L.K. Pande.
- "Calculation of Nucleon Form Factors Through the Green's Function
Approximation Scheme," Nuc. Phys. 64, 641 (1965), with A.N.
- "Broken Symmetry in Quantum Electrodynamics and Zero mass bosons,"
Phys. Rev. 138 B, 1196 (1965), with R. Acharya.
- "Internal Symmetry Groups and Curved Space-Time," Phys. Rev. 140
B, 155 (1965), with R. Acharya.
- "Bhabha Irreducible Spin (1/2, 3/2) Equation as a Basis of Strong
Interaction Symmetries," Phys. Rev. 142, 1085 (1966), with R.
- "Spontaneous Symmetry Breakdown without mass splitting," Phys. Rev.
144, 1305 (1966), with R. Acharya.
- "A New approach to algebra of current Operators," ICTP Report IC/66/3,
1966, with T. Pradhan and T.S. Santhanam.
- "Cabibbo Angle as a Renormalization Effect," ICTP Report IC/66/42, 1966,
with T. Pradhan.
- "Application of Current Algebra to Pion Photoproduction," Ann. Phys.
(NY), 45, 339 (1967), with A.P. Balachandran, F. Nicodemi and M.
- "Low Energy Theorem connecting weak pion production and two pion
photoproduction," Nuovo Cimento 53, 107 (1968), with B. Renner.
- "Accurate Solution of Bethe-Salpeter Equations for Tightly Bound
Fermion-antifermion systems," Nuovo Cimento 53, 635 (1968), with
- "Current Algebra and Photoproduction of Pions," Phys. Rev.
172, 1742 (1968), with M.S. Bhatia.
- "Accurate Solution of a Bethe-Salpeter Equation for a ferminon-antifermion
system bound via vector exchange," Phys. Rev. 172, 1750 (1968),
with A. Pagnamenta.
- "Broken symmetry and the Smushkevich Principle," Nuovo Cimento
59 A, 20 (1969), with T.S. Santhanam.
- "Rise and Fall of Regge Trajectories in Potential Scattering," Phys.
Lett. 28 B, 603 (1969), with H.H. Aly.
- "Superconvergent Dispersion Relations and the Pion Scattering Sum Rule,"
Phys. Rev. 186, 1567 (1969), with R. Acharya and H.H. Aly.
- "Inconsistency of Asymptotic SU(2) x SU(2) symmetry of the proper
amplitudes with local chiral current algebra," Phys. Rev. 186,
1731 (1969), with R. Acharya and H.H. Aly.
- "On the Dynamics of Rising Regge Trajectories," Nuovo Cimento Lett.
2, 729 (1969), with H.H. Aly and F. Paccanoni.
- "Meson Wave Function Renormalization constants and asymptotic symmetry,"
Nuovo Cimento Lett. 3, 357 (1970), with H.H. Aly.
- "Asymptotic symmetry, sum rules and renormalization constants,"
Lectures in Theoretical Physics, Gordon and Breach Pub. Co. p.59
(1970), with H. Aly.
- "A rigorous Lower Bound on the KSFR relation from field theory," Phys.
Rev. D1, 3403 (1970), with R. Acharya and T.S. Santhanam.
- "Axial vector current-field identity and spontaneous symmetry breakdown,"
Nuovo Cimento Lett. 1, 185, (1971).
- "Broken chiral symmetry and the axial vector field-current identity: Is
the massive pion free?", Nuovo Cimento Lett. 3, 227 (1972).
- "The K13 decay from factors in broken
SU(3) x SU(3) model," Prog. Theor. Phys. 47, 237 (1972), with S.
- "The Algebra of the first moments of vector currents as applied to weak
N-N* vector form factors," NSF Undergraduate Research Project Report, with A.
Crawford and M. Lee, 1973.
- "Investigation of the consistency of the current algebra in the presence
of electromagnetic and weak interactions," NSF Project Report, 1973, with A.
Crawford and M. Lee.
- "Solutions of Bethe-Salpeter Ladder equations in the weak binding limit,"
Report CPT 239 (1974), University of Texas, Austin, Texas.
- "Goldstone Realization of guage symmetry in Quantum Electrodynamics,"
Phys. Rev. D12, 3296 (1975).
- "On the techniques of Green functions problems in Physics," Trans. Ill.
Acad. Sci. 1977.
- "Spontaneous symmetry breakdown with mass splitting," with R. Acharya,
Phys. Rev. D22, 530 (1980).
- "Spontaneous symmetry breakdown of gauge symmetries sans scalar mesons,"
with R. Acharya and B.P. Nigam, Nuovo Cimento 65A, 125 (1981).
- "Dynamical symmetry breakdown in weak interactions," with R. Acharya and
B.P. Nigam, Nuovo Cimento 60A, 265 (1980).
- "On the Nambu-Goldstone problem in Quantum Electrodynamics," with R.
Acharya, Nuovo Cimento 62A, 307 (1981).
- "Comment on the gap equation in Quantum Chromodynamics," with R. Acharya,
Phys. Rev. D26, 956 (1982).
- "Dynamical Realization of Chiral Symmetry in Quantum Chromodynamics," with
R. Acharya, Phys. Rev. D26, 16 Nov. 1982.
- "The Quark Propagator in Quantum Chromodynamics: A Study in Landau Gauge,"
with R. Acharya, Zeitschrift für Physik - C 28, 463, (1985).
- "Wigner-Weyl and Nambu-Goldstone Realizations in QCD," with R. Acharya,
AIP Proceedings 150, 796, (1986), Ed. D.F. Geesaman, New York
- "Goldstone Mode of Chiral Symmetry in QCD," with R. Acharya, Nuovo
Cimento, 95A, 229 (1986).
- "Constraints on Dynamical flavor Symmetry breaking in Quantum
Chromodynamics: Vafa-Witten theorem," with R. Acharya, Nuovo Cimento,
98A, 773 (1987).
- "Exact Global color symmetry in QCD," with R. Acharya, Nuovo Cimento
100A, 47 (1988).
- "Dynamical flavor SU(2) breaking in QCD," with R. Acharya, Nuovo
Cimento, 102A, 747 (1989).
- "Constraints on Dynamical flavor symmetry breaking in QCD - II," with R.
Acharya, Nuovo Cimento, 101A, 607 (1989)
- "No Gell-Mann and Low eigenvalue in Quantum Electrodynamics" with R.
Acharya, Nuovo Cimento, 103, 1131 (1990).
- "Infrared behavior of the gluon propagator and broken chiral symmetry in
Quantum Chromodynamics" with R. Acharya, Nuovo Cimento, 103,
- "Chiral symmetry breaking in quantum Chromodynamics: Ladder approximation"
with R. Acharya, Physica Scripta, 42, 138 (1990).
- "The quark liberation temperature TF and the chiral symmetry restoration temperature
TC in continuum QCD," with R. Acharya,
Nuovo Cimento, 102A, 1255-67 (1989).
- "The Chiral symmetric transition phase in Quantum Chromodynamics," with R.
Acharya, Nuovo Cimento, 104A, 521 (1991).
- "Quantum Hall Effect in 2+1 Quantum Electrodynamics," with R. Acharya,
Nuovo Cimento B 107B, 351 (1992).
- "Gauge technique and BCS theory of Superconductivity," with R. Acharya,
Nuovo Cimento D14, 487 (1992).
- "Theory of Superconductivity: Gauge theory formulation," with R. Acharya,
Int. Journal Mod. Phys. A8, 59 (1993).
- "Relativistic QED in 2+1 space-time dimensions: Integer and Fractional
Quantized Hall Effects," with R. Acharya, Int. Journal Mod. Phys.
A9 861, 1994.
- "Statistical Mechanics of Anyons," with R.Acharya, Journal of Physics
A27 7247 (1994).
- "Broken Chiral symmetry in 2+1 quantum electrodynamics at finite
temperature," Nuovo Cimento, A109, 31 (1996).
- "Broken Chiral symmetry in 2+1 quantum chromodynamics at finite
temperature," Nuovo Cimento, A109, 45 (1996).
- "Thermodynamics of q-modified bosons," Int. Journal Mod. Phys.
- "q-Deformed Phonons," Mod. Phys. Lett. B10, 23, 1996.
- "No eigenvalue in finite quantum electrodynamics" (with Acharya), <
e-preprint arXiv:hep-th/9910008 > Int. Journal Mod. Phys.
12A, 3799 (1997). To access arXiv papers: Write the first four numbers
in the URL as e.g., http://xxx.lanl.gov/list/hep-th/9910 and then scroll down
to desired article number.
- "Asymptotic freedom and confinement imply spontaneously broken chiral
symmetry in QCD" (with Acharya), < e-preprint arXiv:hep-th/9910009 >
Mod. Phys. Lett. 12A, 1649 (1997).
- "Q-deformed boson oscillators and zero point energy," < e-preprint
arXiv:quant-ph/9909069 >Int. Journal Mod. Phys. 12B, 3495
- "Q-deformed fermion oscillators, zero point energy and inclusion-
exclusion principle" < e-preprint arXiv:quant-ph/9909015 > .
- "Infinities in Physics and Transfinite numbers in Mathematics", <
e-preprint arXiv:Math-ph/9909033 > .
- "Generalized symmetric nonextensive thermostatistics and q-modified
structures" (with A. Lavagno), < e-preprint arXiv:cond-mat/0001071 > ,
Mod. Phys. Lett. B13 , 961 (1999).
- "Thermostatistics of q-deformed boson gas" (with A. Lavagno), <
e-preprint arXiv:quant-ph/9912111 > , Phys. Rev. E 61 , 1218
- "The Georgi "Avatar" of Broken Chiral symmetry in Quantum Chromodynamics"
(with Acharya), < e-preprint arXiv:hep-ph/9912389 > .
- "Non-extensive Entropy in q-deformed Quantum groups" (with A. Lavagno),
Chaos, Solitons and Fractals 13 , 437-444 (2001): Conference
presentation, Denton TX 2000.
- "Transformations of q-boson and q-fermion algebras", Mod.Phys.Lett
B 15 ,915-920 (2001) < e-preprint arXiv:quant-ph/0109062 > .
- "Generalized Thermodynamics of q-deformed Bosons and Fermions", (with A.
Lavagno) Phys. Rev E 65 , 036101, (2002) < e-preprint
arXiv:cond-mat/0111112 > .
- "q-Deformed structures and Nonextensive statistics: a comparative study",
(with A. Lavagno) Physica A : Statistical Mechanics and its Applications
, A 305 , 310-315 (2002), Conference presentation May 2001,
- "Deformed Heisenberg algebra: origin of q-calculus", Physica A:
Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
A 328 (2003), 145-153.
- "On an Interpolating Statistics from general principles",
(with R.Acharya), Physica A : Statistical
Mechanics and its Applications, , A 340 (2004), 427-435.
- "Detailed Balance and Intermediate Statistics",
(with R.Acharya), Journal of Physics A:
Mathematical and General, A 37 (2004), 1--10 < e-preprint
arXiv:quant-ph/0308084 > .
- "Q-deformed structures and Generalized Thermodynamics",
(with A. Lavagno and A. Scarfone), Rep. Math.Phys. 55 (2005), 423--433.
- "Transverse Radiation realized as Deformed Harmonic Oscillators",
Physica A 353 (2005), 119--132.
- "Interpolating statistics and q-Deformed Harmonic Oscillators",
Int.J.Mod.Phys. B 20 (2006) 697-713.
- "Asymptotic freedom and Confinement in PT-symmetric Quantum Electrodynamics",
(with R. Acharya) unpublished; February 2005, < arXiv:hep-th/0502110 >, in the web page http://xxx.lanl.gov/list/hep-th/05.
- "q-deformed Fermions",
Eur. Phys. J. : B 50 (2006) 291-294.
- "Classical q-deformed Dynamics", (with A. Lavagno and A.M.Scarfone),
Eur. Phys. J. : B 50 (2006) 351-354.
- "Classical and quantum q-deformed physical systems", (with A. Lavagno and A.M.Scarfone) , 2005,
Eur. Phys. J. C 47, 253-261 (2006).
- "q-deformed Fermions: Algebra, Fock space and Thermodynamics",
Int.J.Mod.Phys. B 20 (2006) 2537-2550.
- "Generalized Heisenberg relation and Quantum Harmonic Oscillators",
Int.J.Mod.Phys. A21, (2006)6115-6123; arXiv:quant-ph/0610079 in the arXiv web page.
- "Basic-deformed thermostatistics",
(with A.Lavagno and A.M.Scarfone) submitted for publication, 2006.
- "The relativistic oscillator algebra revisited in the quantum groups formalism", (with A.M. Scarfone) , Int.J.Mod.Phys. A22, (2007) 6169-6181.
- "An interacting particles system revisited in the framework of the q-deformed algebra", (with A.M. Scarfone) , J.Phys.A:Math. Theor. 41, (2008) 275211.
- "Feynman's proof of Maxwell Equations: in the context of quantum gravity", International Journal of Theoretical Physics 48 2432-2440 (2009).
- "Deformed Quantum Statistics in two dimensions", (with A.Lavagno) , Int.J.Mod.Phys. B 23 , (2009) 235-250.
- "Intermediate Statistics as a consequence of deformed algebra", (with A.Lavagno) , Physica A , (2009) (in Press).
- "Free Particle Eigenfunctions of Schrodinger Equation with Quantized space-time"(with M. Bhatia), submitted for publication (2009).
- "Algebra and Thermodynamics of q-deformed Fermion Oscillators", with A. Lavagno, published in Horizons in World Physics, 2010,Volume 271, Chapter 8.
- "Thermostatistics of Deformed Bosons and Fermions", with A. Lavagno, published in Foundations of Physics, on-line, Springer, October 2009.
- "Elementary Quantum Mechanics in a Space-Time Lattice", with M. Bhatia, published in International Journal of Theoretical Physics, 2011.
This page has been visited 1,514 times
since February 26, 1999.Disclaimer: Views and opinions
expressed on this page are strictly those of the author. The contents of this
page have not been reviewed or approved by Southern Illinois University at
URL for this page: http://www.siue.edu/~pswamy
, My E-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org,
revised November 20, 2009.