DrPH, 2013, University of North Carolina Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
MPH, 2007, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
BS, 2005, California State University Fullerton, Fullerton, CA
- Assistant Professor (2013 - present), Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, Department of Kinesiology and Health Education, Campus Box 1126, Edwardsville, IL 62026-1126
- Lecturer (2010-2013), University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Department of Public Health Education, 437 HHP Building, PO Box 26170 Greensboro, NC
- Director, HealthyUNCG, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 437 HHP Building, PO Box 26170 Greensboro, NC
Peer Reviewed Publications
Manuscripts in Print
- Cathorall, M., Xin, H., Schulz, M., Peachey, Andrew, Bibeau, D., Aronson, R., & Dave, G. (2015). The Influence of Neighborhood Level Poverty on Blood Glucose Levels: Findings from the Community Initiative to Eliminate Stroke (CITIES) Program. Health, Culture, and Society. (In Press)
- Cathorall, M.L., Dingman, D.A., Schulz, M.R., Keyworth, A.M., & Pelligra, K.G. (2015). Helmet Use Prevalence and Predictors in a South Eastern, United States City. International Journal of Injury Control and Safety Promotion. (In Press) http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17457300.2015.1047868
- Cathorall, M.L., Xin, H., Peachey, Andrew, Bibeau, D., Schulz, M. & Aronson, R. (2015). Neighborhood disadvantage and risk variations in blood pressure. American Journal of Health Education. (In Press)
- Bibeau, D. L., Evans, W. M., Cathorall, M. L., Miller, E., Strack, R. W., & Mattocks, A. D. (2009). Health promotion in the public sector. American Journal of Health Studies, 24(3), 331-342.
- McMahan, S., Cathorall, M. & Romero, D. (2007). Cardiovascular Disease Risk Perception and Knowledge: A Comparison of Hispanic and White College Students. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, 6, 5-18.
- Romero, D., McMahan, S. & Cathorall, M. (2005). Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) Risk in the United States: Should We Target College Women? Californian Journal of Health Promotion, 3, 117-129.
- Pullen-Seufert, N., & Cathorall, M. (2006). 2006 Walk To School Event Organizer Survey. Chapel Hill, NC: Safe Routes to School.
Manuscripts in Process
- Cathorall, ML, Nichols, TR, Bibeau, DL, & Francisco, V. Missed Opportunities in Childhood Bicycle Helmet Research. To be submitted to a peer reviewed journal.
- Cathorall, ML & Nichols, TR. How Parents Balance Anxiety and Perceived Risks of Bike Riding with Their Children’s Need for Autonomy: A Grounded Theory Approach. To be submitted to a peer reviewed journal.
Papers Presented at Conferences
- Dingman, DA, Schulz, MR, Cathorall, ML, Keyworth, AM, & Pelligra, KG. (2011, November) Predictors of Helmet Use in an Urban Area. Presented at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Washington, DC.
- Cathorall, M.L., (2010, November). Parent and Child Perspectives on Children's Bicycle Helmet Use. Presented at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Cathorall, M. L., (2010, November). A Systematic Review of Bicycle Helmet Studies and Recommendations for Future Research. Presented at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Cathorall, M. L., Lopez, C., Pedersen, B., Grimmett, J., & White, L. (2006, November). Building partnerships with a southern lesbian and bisexual women's community through Action-Oriented Community Diagnosis. Paper presented at the American Public Health Association, Boston, MA.
- Cathorall, M. L., & Penprapa, S. (2005, April). Motorcycle Helmet Use and Head Injuries in Chiang Mai Province, Thailand: 2003-2004. Paper presented at the American Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance New Orleans, LA.
- Cathorall, M. L., & Penprapa, S. (2004, March). Motorcycle Helmet Use in Mueang District, Chiang Mai and Mae Chan District, Chiang Rai, Thailand Paper presented at the American Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance Chicago, IL.
- Cathorall, M. L., McMahan, S., & Romero, D. (2004, March). Cardiovascular Disease Risk and College Students: Do Men and Women Differ? Paper presented at the Gender and Scholarship Conference, Fullerton, CA.
Certified Worksite Wellness Program Manager (CWWPM), July 2012
Certified Worksite Wellness Specialist (CWWS), March 2012
Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) April 2011
Certified Health and Wellness Coach, October 2011
Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) April 2005
American Public Health Association (APHA), 2003-present
Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE), 2003-present
Society for the Advancement of Violence and Injury Research (SAVIR), 2010 - 2012
Eta Sigma Gamma