- James Votsmier
- Laboratory Specialist
- Department of Physics
- College of Arts
- Southern Illinois
University at Edwardsville
- James is the Laboratory Specialist in the
Department of Physics
at SIUE. He started this full-time
position in January 2000. He had been a part-time adjunct instructor
with the department since the fall of 1993.
- As Lab Specialist, James provides support for all
of the physics departments teaching
laboratories. This includes lab set-up and take-down, equipment
maintenance and repair, and maintaining the wireless iMac computer
data acquisition and analysis network.
- In addition to providing support for all the teaching
labs, James also instructs physics courses. Physics
318 (Theory and Applications of Electronic Measurements)
is taught by James in the fall each year.
uses "An Introduction to Modern Electronics" by William
L. Faissler as a text. In this course
the student gets exposed to modern DC & AC circuit analysis
techniques, TTL circuit design, oscillators, operational amplifiers,
power supplies and DAC & ADC as well as modern electrical
measuring equipment (i.e. digital multimeters, analog and digital
storage ocilloscopes). Click here for more information.
- Click here for James' current schedule.
- Here is a list of some of the others courses that
he has taught:
- Physics 111 - Conceptual Physics
- Physics 112 - Conceptual Physics Laboratory
- Physics 131 - College Physics (the old Physics 206)
- Physics 151 - University Physics (the old Physics 211A)
- Physics 151L - University Physics Laboratory (the old Physics 212A)
- Physics 152L - University Physics Laboratory (the old Physics 212B)
- Physics 312 - Experiments in Modern Physics (no-longer
- Physics 350 - Energy and the Environment (no-longer
- James teaches these courses on an as-need basis per
- James first came to SIUE
as a student in the fall of 1989. It was at SIUE where he completed
his B.S.(1991) and M.S.(1993) degrees in Physics
with a specialization in optical spectroscopy.
- Before attending SIUE, he obtained an A.S.(1989) degree
from Lincoln Land Community College
in Springfield, Illinois.
- Prior to joining the Physics Department as Lab Specialist,
James was a Senior Engineer in the Warfare Analysis Department
of The Phantom Works for THE
BOEING COMPANY of St. Louis, Mo.
- Before working for Boeing, he taught high school physics
at Parkway West High
School during the '96-'97 school year.
- "West is Best!!"
- Here is a list of some of his activities
coded and maintained by james votsmierSince 5 May,1998
Disclaimer (For the Lawyers): The views and opinions expressed
in documents posted on this server are strictly those of the
author. The contents of these documents have not been reviewed
or approved by SIUE.