Ludwig Cemetery Entries for Miller
MILLER. MOLLY ... BORN JULY 21, 1856 - DIED, OCT. 27, 1911.
MILLER. JOHN... BORN APRlL 5, 1828 - DIED SEPT. 19, 1894 -
AGED, 66 YEARS, 5 MONTHS AND 14 DAYS.
MILLER. ( TEOTHOR)? ... SON OF JOHN & CAROLINE MILLER, DIED JAN.
13,1892.- AGED, 26 YRS.- 2 MO'S.- AND 8 DAYS.
MILLER. INFANT... SON OF J.& C. MILLER, DIED, 1875.
MILLER. INFANT ... DAUGHTER OF J. & C. MILLER, DIED, 1874.
MILLER. ELIZABETH ... GEB LAUER, GATTIN DEH PFARRERS JOHANN P.
MULLER. GEB AM 10 SEPT. 1846.- GEST AM 30 NOV. 1892.
ALTER 46 J.- 2 M.- 20 T.
MILLER. CAROLINE ... WIFE OF MULLER, BORN IN FEARING TP. WASH. CO.
O. MARCH 7, 1835.- DIED JUL. 9, 1879. AGE. 44 YRS.-
4 MO.- 2 DAYS.
John Miller (1828 - 1894) and Caroline Schramm Miller 1835 - 1979)
I received the following information from Millie Fry Covey 28 Oct 2007.
My great grandparents - Caroline Schramm and John
Miller - owned land
in Sections 28 & 29 Lawrence Township according to the 1875 Washington
County Atlas. Below is info about him
Name: MILLER, JOHN / JOHANNES (NAME HAD BEEN MUELLER IN GERMANY)
Birth date/place: April 5, 1828 / Altenkirchen, Homburg, Bavarian Pfalz
Parents: Catharina Schramm and Georg Peter Miller
Siblings: David Miller
Spouse: Caroline Schramm
Marriage date/place: July 19, 1853 Noon / Fearing Twp., Washington Co.,
OH. Witnesses: Michael Shcramm and Theobald Schneider
Death date/place: September 17, 1894 (tombstone has September 19, 1894)
/ Lawrence Twp., Washington Co., OH. Age 66y 5m 22d. Died of cancer.
Burial: Ludwig Lutheran Cemetery, Pleasant Ridge, Washington Co., OH
Children: Caroline Miller, Mollie Miller, John Jacob Miller, George Peter
Miller, Catherine Miller, Theodore Miller, Elizabeth Miller, Emma Miller,
Rosa Miller, Conrad Miller, infant daughter died in 1874, and an infant
son died in 1875.
Residence: Fearing Twp., Washington Co., OH (as of 1853); Pleasant Ridge,
Washington Co., OH
General information: John Miller came to the United States and stayed
at the home of Michael Schramm, Sr. (father of Caroline Schramm who became
John’s wife). Both John Miller and Michael Schramm, Sr. were from
Altenkirchen, Homburg, Bavarian Pfalz. It is believed that John’s
mother, Catharine Schramm Miller was a sister to Michael Schramm, Sr.
(1805-1869). If true, John Miller and Caroline Schramm were first coursins.
John Miller came to America from Germany to evade military training,
so it is believed. He had a brother, David, who came to this country
also. Like John, he was an expert cabinetmaker. He did not care for the
uncivilized country and moved to Pittsburg, PA. It is believed that he
had about eight sons and four daughters.
Irma Porter Serviss wrote: My great uncle George Schrom/Schramm visited
briefly with your grandparent Miller and he reported that John Miller
apparently worked hard and also worked the family hard with only the
bare necessities of life in evidence in the home.
John Miller left each of his children land or a sum of $1800 or $2500.
He only gave Caroline Miller Erb $600. He did leave the bulk of the estate
to Mollie and Catherine Miller who were not married at the time. He was
a good businessman and wouldn't use banks. He loaned money to neighbors
and charged 7% interest.
Sources of information:
1. Irma Porter Serviss, Tonkawa, OK, September 25, 1969
2. Laura Miller Bingham (granddaughter of John J. Miller and the daughter
of John Jacob Miller), Waterford, OH, November 7, 1969
3. Washington County, OH Marriage Application, July 12, 1853
4. Washington County, OH Marriage Record, vol. 2, p. 502, July 19, 1853
(Caroline Schramm and John Miller)
5. 1860 Washington County, OH Census (Lawrence Twp.)
6. 1870 Washington County, OH Census (Lawrence Twp.)
7. 1880 Washington County, OH Census (Lawrence Twp.)
8. Death Record, Washington County, OH, vol. 2 p. 53 #1795 (John Miller);
December 1940; November 4, 1944
9. Ludwig Lutheran Cemetery, Pleasant Ridge, Washington Co., OH
10. Washington County, OH Marriages 1789-1918, p. 161
11. Berg Church Marriages 1852-1906, p. 2
12. German Churches Other Than Berg 1854-1891, p. 109, 150
13. Page from Washington County Historical Society
14. Schramm Genealogy by O.P. Greer, Edna Greer Porter and Irma Porter
15. Marietta Times, April 30, 1945
16. Washington Co., OH, Marriage Application, June 1888