Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
Institutional Header

Office of the Registrar

Use of Educational Benefits

SIUE’s Certifying Official, Bobbi Wojcik, is on staff full time within the Office of the Registrar to assist students with use of educational benefits administered through the Department of Veterans Affairs to include the following:

  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill
  • Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
  • Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Students wishing to use these educational benefits while attending SIUE should submit the Veterans Benefits Information form each semester following registration. The form should be submitted to:

Office of the Registrar
Attention: Veterans Certification
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1047

The form also is available in the Service Center, Rendleman Hall, Room 1309.

SIUE will certify your enrollment and charges, if appropriate, to the Department of Veterans Affairs upon receipt of the Veterans Benefits Information form and confirmation of enrollment. If you make changes to your enrollment or program of study following initial submission of your request, you should report these changes as soon as possible to Veterans Certification, Rendleman Hall, Room 1207 or by telephone to (618) 650‑2234. Information also is available on the registrar’s Veterans Certification webpage.

Additional information about veterans’ education benefit programs is available at Please note that SIUE does not certify eligibility to receive benefits. If you have questions related to your eligibility, you should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442‑4551.

Veterans Certification Contacts

Bobbi Wojcik
Rendleman Hall, Room 1207
(618) 650-2234

Kelly Meyers
Rendleman Hall, Room 1207
(618) 650-2293

Transfer/Evaluation of Credit

Staff in SIUE’s Transfer Center in the Office of the Registrar are available to assist students with transfer of credit and application of credit earned through the following:

  • Regionally accredited colleges and universities
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • Advanced Placement (AP)
  • Basic training/military course credit

Military credit is awarded as follows:

  • Basic Training – For evaluation of active duty military credit, submit a copy of your DD214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty reflecting character of service (Member 4 copy). Credit will be awarded as published in the current undergraduate catalog.

    If you are currently on active duty and do not have a DD214 with discharge status available, please submit a letter from your Commanding Officer stating successful completion of Basic Training and the amount of active duty time completed to date.
  • AARTS or SMART – For evaluation of military course credit, submit a copy of your AARTS – The Army’s Transcript Service or Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). General elective credit is awarded for courses with ACE recommendation of upper or lower baccalaureate. Note: Credit is not awarded for Military Occupational Specialties.
  • Coast Guard – For evaluation of military course credit submit a copy of your Military Education Transcript. General elective credit is awarded for courses with ACE recommendation of upper or lower baccalaureate. Note: Credit is not awarded for Military Experiential Learning.
  • CCAF is a regionally accredited institution and may be required for admission purposes. Credit is awarded for all CCAF course work. Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) Transcripts.
  • DANTES/DSST – For evaluation of DSST credit, please have an official transcript sent directly from Prometric. General elective credit is awarded for passing scores.

All documents should be mailed or delivered to:

Service Center
Box 1080
Rendleman Hall, Room 1309
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1080

Additional information about SIUE’s transfer acceptance practices and procedures is available at

Credit Evaluation Contact

Leslie Daugherty, Transfer Coordinator
Rendleman Hall, Room 1207
(618) 650‑2838

Tuition Rates

Active duty service members and his/her dependents will be assessed in-state tuition rates under any of the following conditions:

  • The service member and his/her dependents have lived in Illinois for a minimum of 6 months.
  • The service member is on active military duty and stationed in Illinois
  • The service member is on active military duty out of state following a minimum 3-year active duty assignment in Illinois and the student applied for admission within 18 months of the out of state re-assignment or has remained continuously enrolled.

Students should complete an application for re-classification of residency, documentation of active duty assignments and dependency if appropriate to the Service Center to receive the in-state rates as described.

Residency Contact

Heather Yeager
Rendleman Hall, Room 1309
(618) 650‑3776

Students Called to Active Duty or Deployed

If you are required to change academic plans as a result of military activation or mobilization, the University will work with you to ensure that you are either able to complete your remaining coursework or withdraw from courses without academic prejudice or financial obligation.

If classes are in progress and you wish to explore options for completion, discuss this with your instructors. At the instructor's discretion, the following options may be available:

  • If you have completed enough of the term to receive academic credit and satisfactory grades, your instructor may issue a grade.
  • Your instructor may issue an incomplete allowing you to complete remaining requirements at a later date. If you agree with this option, you should ensure that you are clear regarding remaining expectations and required timeframe for completion.

If you are unable to complete current courses, you should contact the Service Center. The Service Center will assist you with withdrawing form classes and receiving a full credit of your tuition and fee charges. You will be asked to submit documentation of your active duty assignment at the time of your withdrawal. This will assist us in addressing any issues that may arise in your absence. It will also help us expedite procedures upon your return.

Enrollment Assistance Contact

Heather Yeager
Rendleman Hall, Room 1309
(618) 650‑3776

Students Returning from Military Deployment

Upon return from your military assignment, you should visit the Service Center so that we may assist you with re-entry and re-enrollment. If you have been unable to attend for three consecutive semesters, we may need to collect additional information in order to re-establish your status as a student. In addition, we will be available to assist you with enrolling in any classes you were unable to complete as a result of your deployment.

Enrollment Assistance Contact

Heather Yeager
Rendleman Hall, Room 1309
(618) 650‑3776

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff socialoff