Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
The Staff Senate
The Staff Senate
Institutional Header

UNIVERSITY STAFF SENATE MEETING

January 21, 2010

Morris University Center

International Room

Approved Minutes

The regular meeting of the Staff Senate was called to order on January 21, 2010 at 9:00 a.m. in the Morris University Center International Room by Brian W. Lotz, President. (It was originally scheduled on January 7 and rescheduled due to inclement weather).

Present: Bartholomew, Downey, Dusenbery, Erb, Fetters, Gorsage, Hamil, Harris, Herbeck, Hicks, Kremer, Lotz, Robinson, Schoenborn, Stunkel, Candela, Turley. Panel: Gaffney, McKaig, Mumphard, Nash. Ex Officio: Wense

Excused: Miller

Absent: Pulley

Guests: Vice Chancellor for Administration Kenneth Neher, H.R. Assistant Director Shrylene Langston

Announcements: Brian announced that Kenneth Neher, speaking at 9:30 a.m. to follow up on four questions from a prior Staff Senate Executive Committee meeting and Shrylene Langston, speaking at 10:00 a.m. about a new AQIP project will attend today's meeting.

Approval of December 3, 2009 minutes: The minutes were approved as written.

It was agreed to go out of order of the Agenda to accommodate the guests' schedule.

Other Old Business: It was decided to cancel the rooms that were being held for a Valentine Fundraising event since it was decided at an earlier meeting that the event would not happen this year. Cindy Gorsage will cancel the reservations for the room.

Other New Business

Reports

Ex-Officio Reports

Personnel: No report.

SURS: No report.

SUCSAC: Linda Wense reported that at the last EAC meeting she learned that furloughs at the University Of Illinois were being put in place. Early retirement buyout was another topic at the meeting. Two other main issues discussed; no money in state and cash flow problem in universities. Linda encouraged anyone who is requested to take an online test to participate in the civil service online tests for civil service system office.

Panel Reports

Negotiated and Prevailing: Todd Bartholomew reported that some bids are going out for lateral moves despite the hiring freeze since there were some people out with disabilities.

Open Range: No report.

Professional Staff: No report.

Old Business: Vice Chancellor for Administration Kenneth Neher followed up on some questions asked earlier this year at a Staff Senate Executive Committee Meeting. The questions and answers follow:

1. (2)Recently a major spill took place at the Corn to Ethanol Plant and our custodians were called to clean it up. However, SIUE staff is not allowed to do normal custodial work in that building. Please explain.

(April 16)Answer: Do not know.

(Jan. 21) Answer: Kenn had no additional information other than it was an Emergency and we responded to it. The Parks have the right to contract out. Custodial is more cost effective for them to contract out. Anything other than that someone would have to talk to Jim Pennekamp.

2. (5)Why is Availability cleaning buildings that are used by and built by SIUE?

(April 16)Answer: Kenn will check on Availability's status on campus. They are not at University Park.

(Jan. 21) Answer: Kenn stated that we do not use Availability for cleaning anymore. We have used them up until about a year ago. We were able to work out some procedures with H.R. that made that necessity go away. So, on campus we're using our own staff and in E. St. Louis and Alton. The Park is contracted. Head Start is also using our guys.

3. (10)Contracting out maintenance work. Show us how it compares with using SIUE Facilities maintenance?

(April 16)Answer: Kenn will ask Bob Washburn to do a cost analysis. Not enough work to support a craft person on site regularly.

(Jan. 21) Answer: Our conclusion is that it is more expensive for him (Pennekamp) to use contractors. Kenn has an agreement with Jim Pennekamp that if we have people available we will respond and do the work. Kenn said that we haven't had anyone that he has considered available since last meeting. We have had extra help on board until the 13th of November. At that point all the extra help were let go because of the cash flow crises. Right now we are progressively falling behind on campus. Generally, on the crafts we are 25 people down from where Kenn anticipated being at this time. He also said, "We had 10 extra help crafts on board. We had the Chancellor's Council approval and within days of hiring 5 new full time status crafts; 2 carpenters, 1 electrician, 1 painter and 1 laborer, plus an architect but that's not one of the crafts. We also intended to bring on 10 more temporary crafts extra help that following week. So that leaves us 25 people behind where we really need to be right now, and we are falling behind." As soon as the State funds break loose, Kenn needs 5 full time crafts and as many temporaries as he can get to catch up.

4. (12)Why doesn't University Park use Facilities or at least let them bid work?

(April 16)Answer: Kenn will check into this.

(Jan. 21) Answer: Kenn addressed this above. "The Crafts are cheaper. We pay more than the custodian people will pay."

5. (14)Why are we (SIUE Facilities Management) not doing the work?

(April 16)Answer: Kenn will check into this.

(Jan. 21) Answer: Kenn addressed this above. "Why we are not doing the work is that I don't have the labor available at this time," said Neher.

Kenn expressed how proud he is of the university. The p-card purchases are down 38% and purchase orders are down 40 some %. Checks to vendors were down a lot, but soon delayed payments of bills will need to be paid. "This is fine but everybody's running off their supply closets," said Neher. Kenn said we are anticipating getting our money and things getting better at some point. Kenn also highlighted that freshman and Transfer student applications are up 10% at this time, and Graduate enrollment is up. He also gave a brief summary of some ongoing and future construction projects at SIUE.

Brian called a ten minute break at 10:00 a.m.

Brian called the meeting back to order at 10:14 a.m.

New Business: AQIP (Academic Quality Improvement Program) project: H.R. Assistant Director Shrylene Langston on behalf of Director Sherrie Senkfor gave a PowerPoint presentation of a new training initiative to be funded as an AQIP project. It is part of the Accreditation process that SIUE voluntarily participates in. The mission of AQIP is to help improve culture and quality of the student college experience with any improvements to student success and overall satisfaction in the Academic process. An assessment is done every two years. She requested for a Staff Senate member to be on the AQIP Steering committee for this training initiative.

Todd Bartholomew made a motion for the Staff Senate to agree to have a representative be on the committee. Terry Downey seconded. The motion carried. It was decided to discuss the appointment or recommendation of a staff senate representative at the next Staff Senate Executive Committee meeting. The time line is to have all the committee members in place by the end of February. Shrylene answered questions from everyone and thanked the Staff Senate for being on board.

Satellite Campus Reports

Alton: Jackie reported that the gym is reopened, and students are using it, again.

E. St. Louis: No report.

UPBC: Alan Gaffney reported that the Provost will be interviewed by CHAPA Monday as part of the review/evaluation. Eventually, Alan will have a survey out to everybody for input.

Policy Review Committee: Greg Herbeck reported that he only received one response for the two policies. Sherrie Senkfor wants the turn around time to be quicker. There was discussion about how the committee would forward any recommendations or acceptance of the policies as they are. A motion was made by Greg Herbeck and seconded by Kyle Stunkel to email both policies - to all the Staff Senate members for review and they will have until 4:00 p.m. Friday to respond. If there are no responses then it will go forth to Sherrie Senkfor with the one recommendation from Linda Wense. But if there are other comments for recommendations it will be brought back to the regular Staff Senate meeting on February 4. The motion carried.

Scholarship Committee: Melanie Schoenborn reported

Fundraising Committee: Jesse Harris reported that he was in contact with David Attaway and reserved The Meridian Ballroom again for the Ice Cream Cabaret during Cougar Welcome this year on September 3. He will, also look into having an Art & Wine fundraiser at Birger Hall.

Goals Committee: No report.

Newsletter: No report.

Other Reports: Jesse Harris noted the request from the Governance secretary to post University Wide Committees that has representatives from the Staff Senate with a brief description of the committee and the SS representative's name on the USS Web Site and asked for feedback.

Brian read thank you notes to the Staff Senate from Hospice and Chancellor Vandegrift for donations sent in memory of his father's death.

Bill Dusenbery recommended for everyone to be aware of the traffic patterns in the E lot because of the construction

Adjournment: Greg Herbeck motioned to adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 11:34 a.m.

Approved as written by the University Staff Senate February 4, 2010

Vicki Kruse/University Governance

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff foursquareoff socialoff