Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
The Staff Senate
The Staff Senate
Institutional Header

UNIVERSITY STAFF SENATE
April 9, 2009, 9:00 a.m.
Alton Dental College
Alumni Room
Approved Minutes

The Regular meeting of the Staff Senate was called to order on April 9, 2009 at 9:05 a.m. in the Alumni Conference Room at the Alton Dental School Campus by Brian W. Lotz, President.

Announcements: Brian W. Lotz extended thanks to Alton for their hospitality.

Present: Bartholomew, Dusenbery, Erb, Fetters, Gaffney, Gorsage, Hamil, Harris, Herbeck, Hicks, Lotz, Miller, Nash, Pulley, Robinson, Schoenborn, Candela

Excused: Downey, Hicks, Kremer

Absent: Loring, Stunkel, Turley

Approval of Minutes: Corrections were made to the March 5, 2009 minutes. A motion was made by Melanie Schoenborn to accept the minutes as corrected. Bill Dusenbery seconded. The minutes were approved as corrected.

Treasurer's Report: Jesse B. Harris, Jr. submitted the Treasurer's Report from the Feb.1 - Feb. 28 statement, for filing. Grand total balance: 60,738.03

Old Business: none

New Business:

A recommendation is needed for the UPBC representative at the next Staff Senate Executive meeting. The type of commitment required was discussed. The executive committee will make a recommendation at the next Staff Senate meeting. It was clarified that Scott Gluntz reports to the Staff Senate as a current representative of the Staff Senate on the UPBC.

Reports: Ex-Officio Reports:

Personnel: no report but there was discussion about the new Cougar-net access for staff and faculty. Jayne Markus, Human Resources Associate Director will be at the next Senate meeting.

SURS/SUCSAC: no report.

Panel Reports:

Negotiating and Prevailing: Greg Herbeck reported for Terry Downey. There is too much information on the screen of the new Cougar-net for staff. There was a discussion about too much private information for everyone to see.

Open Range: Mike Pulley requested the status of the email list serve of each constituency. This would be used to send out pertinent information when needed to each of the constituencies without sending it via the announce list.

Professional Staff: Bill Dusenbery reported they would soon be going into negotiations for grants.

A motion was made by Bill Dusenbery that the Executive committee will have a postcard campaign at the Staff Senate BBQ. It was seconded by Jesse Harris. There was a discussion about having postcards available at the Staff Senate BBQ for employees regarding pensions. They could be used to inform legislators about the present pension system. The motion carried.

Satellite Campus Reports

Alton: Jackie Candela reported on the various construction jobs happening at Alton; an expanded parking lot, torn out old lab and new computer stations, the oral surgery area is being remodeled. There we at least 30 people that attended the Brown Bag lunch with John Nehrt at the Alton campus.

East St. Louis: Bill Dusenbery reported there were no major changes this month except for some new 4 way stop signs at the two entrances on Eighth Street. There have been a few car thefts near the Granite City area and some on the E. St. Louis campus.

UPBC: Jesse Harris reported that there is one more meeting this year on April 17. The budget was approved.

Policy Review Committee: Greg Herbeck reported that he requested to have policy regarding Civil Service sick leave put online on the Human Resources Web Site. Sherry Senkfor replied that she would try to work something up. There was a discussion about consistency of sick leave policies regarding written policy superseding Civil Service policy and not being fair.

Brian called a 10 minute break at 10.06 a.m.

Brian called the meeting back to order at 10:16 a.m.

Scholarship Committee: The Scholarship Selection Committee will meet on Wednesday April 15 at 9:30 a.m. in the Governance Conference Room if chairs are in. If no chairs the meeting will be in Accounting Conference Room. There was a discussion about the wording of the instructions on the application. There will be $1,000 available for the Fall scholarship. Jesse Harris made a motion for the Scholarship Selection Committee to make the final decision on the applications that have been turned in at this point and that the Scholarship Selection Committee will present to next Staff Senate meeting the rewording of the Scholarship Application. It was seconded by Mike Pulley. The motion carried. (1 opposed)

There was a discussion about making the application into a web format to process online. Melanie Schoenborn will be working on the Scholarship Handbook. Bill Dusenbery made the point that the Scholarship Selection Committee should bring this information back to the Staff Senate from the committee meeting after they have discussed it

Fundraising Committee: The Staff Senate BBQ menu was presented by Jesse Harris. Adjustments were made to the menu to reflect extras and shortages from last year. Additional tickets will be distributed today. The inventory from last year's BBQ was discussed and it was decided to make changes according to quantities Sodas will have a separate ticketing process. Sodas priced per consumption. Sodas come cold. Portion control was discussed. Melanie called for volunteers to serve. There was not enough ice last year. Cindy will ask Pat about icing up drinks. More desert and soup bowls are needed. Melanie will check into getting some. 16 extra tables are needed. Jeff Robinson will get tables from Facilities. Todd will check into getting the chairs from Darlene Harmon at the VC. The Governance secretary will pick up a cash box from the Accounting Information Office at MUC. Todd will bring geraniums for the SS BBQ

Jesse Harris brought up the idea of having a Dinner Theater to raise funds for the Staff Senate Scholarship. Jesse and Pam Fetter will work on the fundraiser. Gail Erb volunteered to help. Cindy Gorsage suggested that the Senate schedule the event when FOTD is not having their Dinner Theater.

Goals Committee: no report

Newsletter: Jackie Candela reported that not everyone at the Alton Campus received the newsletters. The next newsletter will go out in August, so deadline for submissions will be in July.

Council of Councils: Mike Pulley reported that not enough people were at the last meeting to have a quorum. He will release the web site on Friday announcing the Council of Councils on October 23, 2009. Tangent is paying for breakfast. Brian is to confirm that the Chancellor is paying for lunch. Jesse suggested an announcement on the electronic bulletin boards welcoming the Council of Councils. John Nehrt was invited and will attend. If anyone has any topics they would like to suggest for the Council of Council event, please forward them to Mike Pulley or Cindy Gorsage.

Other Business: The meeting is rescheduled for May 14 because the Board of Trustees meeting will be on May 7.

Brian reported about the budget issues from the Board of Trustees meeting. President Poshard would look everywhere to see where we could save money. On the other hand, Chancellor Vandegrift said Edwardsville campus does a good job at managing their money.

Parking and traffic may reconfigure parking with the Student Success Center opening soon. Moving will possibly take place in June.

Adjournment: Mike Hamil made a motion to adjourn at 11:15 a.m.

Approved as Written - May 14, 2009
Vicki Kruse/University Governance

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff foursquareoff socialoff