SIUE Faculty Welfare Council Meeting
November 1, 2007
The meeting was convened at 2:30 P.M.
Present: Ed Hershenberger, Jon Pettibone, Laurie Puchner, Catherine Seltzer, Allison Thomason, Tianlong Yu, and Lisa Welch.
1. Minutes from the September 2007 meeting were approved unanimously.
2. New Announcements:
It was requested that any member who must miss a Council meeting secure an alternate to ensure that we have a quorum.
3. Action Items:
a. Gender Equity Report
Mark Hedley visited the Council to present the Salary Equity Task Force's Report, which he authored. He summarized the report and fielded questions. After some discussion the following additions were proposed:
1. Language that explicitly calls for all methods and findings of the study to be made available to the university community.
2. A proposal that the study be conducted and reported publicly every year.
3. A statement recognizing the effectiveness of the 1990 study and an acknowledgement that methodological changes to that study are important yet minor.
4. Language that makes clear that all of the assumptions of linear regression should be tested for violation of those assumptions.
Puchner will email a final copy of the report to Hedley.
b. Draft Emeritus Policy
Trish Oberweis visited the Council to present the Proposed Policy for Emeriti Faculty. After some discussion it was agreed that,
1. Puchner will ask the Executive Committee how retirement policies should apply to untenured faculty.
2. The Faculty Benefits and Facilities Committee, chaired by Lisa Welch, will discuss and revise the Proposed Policy, seeking to clarify the rights of all retired faculty with a second tier of benefits for emeriti faculty.
4. Standing Committee Agendas:
a. Faculty Status Committee
The Ombuds Search has been announced, although no one has applied for the position yet.
b. Faculty Benefits and Facilities Committee
The Committee will continue to examine the inclement weather policy.
5. New Business
a. The Teacher Scholar Model
Puchner will look into whether the Welfare Council should take action after the release of the draft of "the Teacher Scholar Philosophy" or if this document will be discussed by the full Senate.
b. Sabbatical Leave Policy
Puchner will begin a review of the policy with a goal of revising/eliminating inconsistencies
The meeting was adjourned at 4:30