SIUE Faculty Senate Welfare Council
Meeting, January 17, 2008
Meeting convened: 2:30pm
Present: Allison Fahsl, Edmund Hershberger, Laurie Puchner, Catherine Seltzer, Lisa Welch, Tian Yu
1. Announcements: None
2. Consideration of November 15 Minutes: approved with amendments
3. Standing Committee Reports
a. Faculty Status Committee – Laurie Puchner (substituting for Allison Thomason)
i. Ombuds Search: On February 8 from 2:30 to 4:30 WC will interview two candidates and deliberate. Laurie distributed candidate applications.
ii. Revisions to Faculty Grievance Policy
1. Section III-N: Motion (Edmund Hershberger) to amend section to read: “Hearing Panel: The three person panel selected to hear testimony and to make findings of fact, conclusions and recommendations. The Hearing Panel shall have 2 members selected from the FGC and 1 member selected from the Faculty Panel.”
a. Motion seconded (Allison Fahsl).
b. Motion Passed.
2. Section II: Laurie Puchner to clarify with ??? (re: section II) if complaints are not grievable under this policy if the complaint is against the Chancellor, or anyone within the Chancellor’s office.
3. Section III-H: remove “including directors.”
4. Section VI-E: add three day limit for faculty selected for a hearing panel to petition for excuse.
5. Section V-B.1: Laurie Puchner to determine appropriate size of the FGC; remove “Senate Welface Council.”
6. Section VII-D: edit “no sooner than ten days and not more than 20 days” to read “between ten and twenty days.”
7. Section VII-G.2: suggest revisions to reflect the expectation of civility and professionalism at all times during the hearing.
8. Section VII-G.3: Laurie Puchner to investigate definition of “under oath.”
9. Laurie Puchner to distribute revised policy to WC for review.
b. Faculty Benefits and Facilities Committee – Lisa Welch
i. Lisa Welch will distribute the revised Emeritus Faculty Policy to FBFC
ii. FBFC to address:
1. Inclement Weather Policy
2. Faculty Handbook
4. Old Business: Revisions to Sabbatical Guidelines
a. Laurie Puchner to make minor revisions
5. New Business: Civility on Listserv
a. Draft of SIUE Faculty/Staff Listserv Code of Conduct was distributed
i. ¶: remove.
ii. ¶ 3: remove “surveys.”
iii. ¶ 4: move to beginning of document as an introductory statement.
iv. ¶ 10: edited to clarify that emails of a personal nature should not be forwarded to the list, and that listserv emails not be forwarded to persons who are not list members without the authors’ permission.
v. ¶2: edit to specify that it is “personal business” that is prohibited.
vi. ¶7: remove.
b. Committee approves to send document as revised above to the Faculty Senate Executive Committee.
6. Other Business: None
7. Motion (Allison Fahsl) to adjourn approved, 4:15 PM