Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
The Faculty Senate
The Faculty Senate
Institutional Header

FACULTY SENATE MEETING

MORRIS UNIVERSITY CENTER

MISSISSIPPI ILLINOIS ROOM

March 4, 2010 - 2:30 p.m.

APPROVED MINUTES

The regular meeting of the Faculty Senate was called to order at 2:32 p.m. on March 4, 2010 in the Morris University Center Mississippi Illinois Room by Allison Fahsl, President.

Present: Maatita, Gregory Johnston (for Maurer), McCracken, Miner, Navin, Nwacha, O'Brien, Pearson, Pettibone, Puchner, Schmidt, Schoenecker, Seltzer, Seyer, Schmitz, Shaw, Siganga, Solares, Staples, Agustin, Alexander, Bharati, Carstens-Wickham, Celik, Chleboun, Comrie, Fahsl, Foster, Fujinoki, Hershberger, Kapatamoyo, Karanovich, Kelly, Kerber, Kirk, Kolling, Latorre, Taylor, Thornton, Timpe, Wiediger, Willmott, Wrobbel, Yager, Yancey, T. Yu, Ying Shang (alt for W. Yu), B. Zhou

Excused: Gillespie, Smith, Weyhaupt, J. Zhou

Absent: Solares, Hinz, Love

Announcements: Tom Foster announced the approved Form 90s. The list is filed with the minutes.

Consideration of Minutes: The February 4 minutes were accepted as written.

Reports from Standing Committees

UPBC: John Navin reported that the Governor's Budget will be out next Wednesday. The Bill that SIU initiated to borrow money if necessary is on its own now and all the other public universities support it. The CHAPA four year evaluations are being prepared and will go out soon.

IBHE Faculty Advisory Council: Martha Latorre reported on the February 19 meeting held at SIUE. There is a search to hire a Director of Academic Affairs since only one person has the position now. Kathleen Brown and Brenda Klosterman from SIUE were speakers at the meeting. In April the Faculty Advisory Council will meet with the IBHE (Board).

ATISC (Academic Technology Issues Steering Committee): Susan Yager reported that their last meeting was on February 19. At that meeting there was a demonstration of Blackboard's capability of allowing instructors to have a gathering place for assessment documents. The next meeting will be March 5.

Reports from Council Chairs

Faculty Development Council: Adam Weyhaupt sent his report to Allison. The report is filed with the minutes.

Graduate Council: Michael Shaw reported that the Graduate Council met on February 5 and will meet again tomorrow. Lynn Maurer is now the Associate Dean of Graduate School. The Graduate School is hosting a Technology Fair, Tuesday March 30 from 9:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. The 14th Annual Spring Symposium will be March 31. At the last meeting several Form 91As were approved. Three program reviews are on the agenda for tomorrow's meeting.

Curriculum Council: Tom Foster reported that the subcommittees have been busy working on Form 90s. Approved Form 91As will soon be announced. Three program reviews were approved; English, Speech Communication and Art & Design.

Rules and Procedures Council: Gerald O'Brien reported that the Provost and Chancellor evaluations are up until next Wednesday. Raw data is not dispersed to everyone. Questions were asked about seeing the results. There was a discussion. Gerald will check to see if last year's data was shared. If it was not, the quantitative date will be shared after this year's evaluations which will have data from the past four years. The Grievance Committee elections are being held now and will consist of 22 members with staggered terms when it is finalized. The Faculty Senate elections are also being held soon and the numbers for representation for each of those areas has not changed.

Welfare Council: Edmund Hershberger reported three items. The Family Friendly Policy recommendations should come to the Faculty Senate to review before the next meeting. The Benefits and Facilities Committee will conduct the Ombuds open evaluation at the end of March. Last, the suggested revisions about the time gap on the promotion of Associate Professor and Professor will be coming soon.

Past President: E. Duff Wrobbel will be bringing the report that he and the Graduate Assistant have worked on in the Fall and Spring semesters to the next Faculty Senate Executive Committee.

President Elect: Jonathan Pettibone reported that he attended the Board of Trustees meeting on February 11. Plans are to have the drafts of the evaluations from the SETC meetings ready for fall. The Committee will be looking for feedback, soon. The Committee is considering adding a student to the Committee.

Unfinished Business

Lincoln Plan Reconciliation Group: John Navin reported that the group has been meeting once a week, looking at costs. The group consists of John Navin, Paul Brunkow, Wendy Shaw, Zenia Agustin, Sue Thomas and Jim Manix. The goal is to have something by the end of this semester because the implementation is to begin in the Fall of 2011.

New Business

All Faculty Meeting: Friday morning, April 9, the focus will be a Teaching Center and SETC. Various universities have been looked at so far to see how their Teaching Centers are structured. There was a discussion with questions about SETC, and Jonathan Pettibone answered questions.

Other Business: There were a few questions about promotion and tenure documents in CAS and other documents.

Adjournment: John Pettibone made a motion to adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 3:30 p.m.

Approved as written April 1, 2010 by the Faculty Senate

Vicki Kruse/University Governance

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff foursquareoff socialoff