Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
The Faculty Senate
The Faculty Senate
Institutional Header

FACULTY SENATE MEETING

OCTOBER 1, 2009 - 2:30 P.M.

FOUNDERS HALL ROOM 0107

APPROVED MINUTES

The regular meeting of the Faculty Senate was called to order at 2:35 p.m. on October 1, 2009 in Founders Hall room 0107 by Allison Fahsl, President.

Present: Agustin, Bharati, Carstens-Wickham, Chleboun, Cho (alt for J. Zhou), Comrie, Fahsl, Foster, Gillespie, Heil (alt for F. Maatita), Hershberger, Hinz, Karanovich, Kerber,, Kolling, Latorre, Love, Maurer, McCracken, Miner, Navin, Nwacha, O'Brien, Pearson, Pettibone, Puchner, Melodie Rowbotham (alt for K. Kelly), Cathy Santanello (alt for E. Timpe), Seltzer, Masangu Shabangi (alt for S. Wiediger), Shaul (alt for Diane Sol {alt for J. Schmitz}), Shaw, Siganga, Smith, Solares, Staples, Taylor, Thornton, Weyhaupt, Wrobbel, Yager, T. Yu, B. Zhou,

Excused: G. Schmidt

Absent: Celik, Kapatamoyo, Kirk, Seyer, Willmott, Yancey, W. Yu

Welcome from Chancellor Vaughn Vandegrift: The Chancellor welcomed the faculty and announced an enrollment increase this year. 13,940 students are enrolled this year. The freshman class is the largest, most academically well prepared and the most diverse that SIUE has ever had. On the other hand MAP funding has been eliminated and unless there is a push to get it back it will have negative financial effects for SIUE students next semester.

The Chancellor announced plans for a Salary Equity increase.

Belinda Carstens-Wickham expressed a concern of inequities that seemed to be created by the last equity increase in her department and CAS.

The Chancellor did not want the equity to show up at the same time the raises came out. The Chancellor suggested that after the formula is created, possibly let the Deans see it as they may see the inequities that it may cause and could make suggestions to correct them. But, it is entirely the decision of the faculty senate whether the suggestions are used.

Announcements: Allison requested that the Senators inform their constituency groups about the Listserv Code of Civility especially the new faculty. It was decided that Jon Pettibone would send out an announcement at the beginning of each semester as a reminder and to inform any new faculty regarding the Listserv.

Consideration of Minutes: Corrections were made to the September 3, 2009 minutes. Jon Pettibone made a motion to accept the minutes as amended. Duff Wrobbel seconded. The minutes were approved as amended.

Jennifer Vandever of Information Technology Services gave a presentation on the reorganization of the department. There were questions and answers regarding such topics as a data warehouse and digital textbooks. The email hardware upgrade was successful over the weekend.

Everyone agreed to change the order of the agenda in order to take care of action items while there was a quorum.

Action Items

General Education Committee: Tom Foster presented the list of members for approval.

Zenia Agustin, Chair

Tom Jordan (CAS)

Eileen Joy (CAS)

Debbie Mann (CAS)

Nader Panahshani (Engineering)

Cathy Daus (Education)

Cory Bosco (Student)

Carl Springer (CAS Dean)

Cheryle Tucker Lowe (CAS Advising

Vicki Scott (Provost Office)

Scott Belobradjic (Enrollment Management)

-- Bus

-- Nurs

-- Student

All were in favor to accept the General Education Committee.

Welfare Council Annual Report

Edmund Hershberger requested the approval of the WC Annual Report which was posted on Blackboard for the Faculty Senate to review before the meeting.

All were in favor to accept the Welfare Council Annual Report.

Everyone agreed to go out of order to accommodate the next guest speaker Paige Reed.

New Business

The Proposed Campus Violence Prevention Plan was posted on Blackboard prior to the meeting for the Faculty Senate to review for today's` meeting. Paige Reed gave an overview of why the Plan was created and proposed. Paige introduced Chief Regina Hays and both answered safety and emergency questions from the faculty. The initial plan was to form a committee, develop a plan and be sure that the plan in place was preventing violence. The two drafts of the plan are filed with the minutes.

There were questions and answers that prompted discussion, basically for the SIUE community to be aware of their surroundings. A question was asked about the Library surveillance, and Paige replied that she is aware, but the topic was too specific to discuss at this moment.

According to the state of Illinois, the plan needs to be in place at the beginning of October, but any recommended changes submitted later by the Faculty Senate would be considered. Allison requested that everyone take the plan to their constituency and bring back any recommendations.

Reports from Standing Committees

UPBC: John Navin added that there will be a student lobby group going to Springfield on October 15 for the MAP grants and for the instructors to be aware of students that may miss class. The salary increase will be retroactive to July 1.

IBHE Faculty Advisory Council: Martha Latorre gave a brief overview of what the Faculty Advisory Council. There is no faculty representative on the IBHE. In 2005 the make-up of the IBHE was changed to include a faculty member and no one communicated. The faculty member is appointed by the governor. There was a discussion about the MAP Grant funding and it was decided that the Faculty Senate would send a letter of support to have it reinstated.

Reports from Council Chairs

Faculty Development Council: no report

Graduate Council: Michael Shaw reported that their meeting was an informational meeting.

Curriculum Council: Tom Foster reported that the Council has been processing the Form 90s as they come in. They have formed the search committee for the Director of Assessment.

Rules & Procedures Council: Gerald O'Brien had no report.

Welfare Council: Edmund Hershberger reported that four policies have been forwarded to the Provost Office.

Past President: E. Duff Wrobbel reported that Mina is finished with the different university faculty senate comparisons and will soon be making phone calls to set up interviews with past and present council presidents. Steve Kerber is doing a deep background search on governance practice

President Elect: Jonathan Pettibone is now Chair of Student Evaluation Committee and on the University Quality Council. He is also monitoring the Listserv.

Unfinished Business: Allison reported that the Executive Committee decided not to put the Campus Security Task Force on the agenda since there are already things in place and under the area of the Emergency and Safety Management.

Other Business: none

Adjournment: made a motion to adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m.

Approved as written on November 5, 2009 by the Faculty Senate
Vicki Kruse
University Governance

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff foursquareoff socialoff