Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
The Faculty Senate
The Faculty Senate
Institutional Header

FACULTY SENATE MEETING

APRIL 2, 2009 - 2:30 PM

MUC MISSISSIPPI-ILLINOIS ROOMS

APPROVED MINUTES

The regular meeting of the Faculty Senate was called to order at 2:33 p.m. on April 2, 2009 in the Morris University Center Mississippi-Illinois Rooms by Duff Wrobbel, President.

Present: Agustin, Bharati, Bolander, Breck, Carstens-Wickham, Celik, Chleboun, Covington, Dixon, Foster, Gillespie, Harward, Hershberger, Hinz, Kaburakis, Kelly, Kerber, Latorre, Love, McAndrews, McCommas, McCracken, Navin, Nwacha, O'Brien, Pearson, Schmidt, Schmitz, Seltzer, Siganga, Smith, James Wulfsong for Sol, Solares, Staples, Thornton, Timpe, Watson, Welch, Weyhaupt, Wiediger, Willmott, Wrobbel, Yancey, T. Yu, W. Yu, B. Zhou

Excused: Fahsl, Fujinoki, Pietroburgo, Thomeczek, J. Zhou

Absent: Alexander, Comrie, Milsk-Fowler, Hale,

Guests: Rachel Carlson, Keiji Kawai

Announcements: Tom Foster announced the approved Form 90s and the progress of the 90s Committee. Tom presented an informational graph that originated from the 90s Committee showing the numbers and dates of the flow of Form 90s through the Governance Office

Consideration of Minutes: Some minor corrections were made to the minutes. Steve Kerber made a motion to accept the minutes as corrected. Stephanie seconded. The minutes were approved as corrected.

Action Item A - WC#2-08/09 Faculty Salary Equity Committee Operating Papers -

Lisa Welch introduced the Faculty Salary Equity Committee Operating Papers to the Senate. A question was asked about the definition of faculty in the document. Mary Sue Love will address the definition of faculty in Action Item B.

ORIGINAL VERSION: All members of the committee will be faculty as defined by the Faculty Senate.

The Senate voted on a motion to "approve" the original document; it passed. However, the original motion did not include the previously suggested amendment of adding the word "Constitution." As a result, the Senate voted again to "approve as amended." This passed as well.

FINAL VERSION: All members of the committee will be faculty as defined by the Faculty Senate Constitution.

Action Item B - R & P# _____ Definition of Faculty

Added to the agenda

Chair of the Rules & Procedures Council Mary Sue Love proposed some changes to the Faculty Senate Constitution regarding the definition of Faculty.

The University Faculty shall consist of all full-time tenured, tenure track and all other non-represented faculty of the University who hold the rank of lecturer, instructor, assistant professor, associate professor or professor, including those persons who are employed as visiting instructors, clinical instructors, research professors, etc., in tenure granting units.

The Senate voted to bring the change forward to the General Faculty as a Referendum.

The faculty senate approved, therefore passed.

A minor change to ARTICLE VIII, A:

Electronic ballot to be inserted:

A vote was taken so that the changes can go forward to the General Faculty as a referendum and passed

Reports from Standing Committees

A. UPBC - John Navin reported a 1% increase over last years $2.3 million increase in the budget. President Poshard announced the $12.4 billion State deficit at the Board of Trustees' meeting. The Board of Trustees rejected the 11.9% tuition increase. Both fees and tuition will be approved at the May board meeting. Tom Foster asked a question about capital budget and the Science Building. SIUE is #2 on the priority list for capital funds for the Science Building. The enrollment numbers look good for the fall.

B. IBHE - Martha Latorre reported on two topics; At the April meeting FAC in conjunction with the Board of Higher Education will no longer be invited to make presentations. It was decided that someone else who has involvement with the topic will speak. The HB656 passed by the House of Representatives which allows Harper Community College to offer a four year Bachelor degree. It will go to the Senate. The concern is that other community colleges want to offer a four year degree.

C. TAC - No report.

Reports from Council Chairs

A. Curriculum Council - Tom Foster reported the Chemistry undergraduate program is in good standing. The Form 91s are moving forward. The 90s committee is working on revising the Form 90s. The committee is considering eliminating the curriculum council approval process of Form 93 and 94.

B. Faculty Development Council - George Watson reported the EUE reviews approval of $235,000 in projects. The Faculty Conversations were great. Venessa Brown announced to the Council that she has faculty development funds that are not fully used.

C. Rules & Procedures Council - Mary Sue Love had no report

D. Welfare Council - Tian reported the Plagiarism Policy revisions are being accomplished with the understanding that wording may be modified, but the committee should resist making substantial changes to the policies. Steve Hansen addressed concerns at the last meeting. They will be forwarded to Faculty Senate. There was a discussion about the matching definitions and the SIUC website. The Family Friendly Policy report is being strengthened. The Provost's Office has requested several revisions be made to the Faculty Grievance Committee Operating Papers.

E. Graduate Council - Stephanie McAndrews reported the meeting on March 6 and highlighted all the reports from all the various committees. The Spring Symposium will be April 8 and 9. The Biology Department did well with its review. The Biotechnology and Environmental Sciences programs will be reviewed in three years. The Graduate School Dean evaluation is extended.

F. Past President - Kay Covington reported that BIC is working on the first implementation component (Breadth) for 2011 Fall. No official recommendations yet. The committee is still working out the financials. The Breadth component will probably be the least costly to implement. There was some discussion about BA and BS programs and ongoing reviews.

G. President Elect - Tom Foster reported for Allison Fahsl on the New Freshman Seminar Implementation Committee. BRIDGE Implementation Committee will discuss whether to implement NFS and BIC together or separate in the Lincoln Plan.

New Business -

Joel Hardman presented the Separation Task Force Final Report. It is filed with the minutes. 1838 people responded, including students. There was a discussion about a name change. This will go on the FSEC Agenda for Fall 09.

Old Business -

An overview of the history of the Teacher Scholar Philosophy was presented at this time. There was some discussion concerning the Faculty Senate in support of the document and shared governance. Duff asked for a response. It was decided that the Faculty Senate needs to make a clear statement of what the Faculty Senate needs to say. Options were discussed.

It was decided and agreed to call another meeting on April 16, at 2:30 p.m. and reschedule the council meetings to accommodate the schedule.

Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 4:40 pm.

Approved as written May 7, 2009

Vicki Kruse
University Governance

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff foursquareoff socialoff