Research & Development
New Faculty Start-Up
Start-Up Funds Request Form: Due December 1 each year
Effective FY 2012, all new tenure-track faculty are eligible for a $3,500 start-up award as described below.
Award Information--Effective FY12
- Before faculty receive start-up funds from the Graduate School, faculty must register with the Grant Forward Database and fill out CV information in their profile.
- Faculty members beginning any time after July 1 must request start-up funds prior to December 1.
- The initial $2,000 in start-up funds ($1,000 from the school/college and $1,000 from the Provost) are state appropriated dollars and must be expended by June 30. There are no other requirements to receive these funds other than new faculty status.
- The final $1,500 are offered from the Graduate School after participation in the required New Faculty Orientation sponsored by the Graduate School's Office of Research and Projects. This $1,500 award is in local (4-ledger) funds, transferred after completion of the Application Procedure described below.
- All items purchased from the New Faculty Start-Up Funds are the property of SIUE. Laptop computers may be purchased with the Graduate School's share of the Start-Up funds; however, all laptops remain the property of SIUE. Please refer to the Guidelines for allowable and unallowable expenditures below.
Applicants should complete their portion of the New Faculty Start-Up Funds Application Form below. Requests should then be forwarded to the School or College Dean's Office, then the Provost's Office, then forwarded to the Graduate School. No funds will be transferred to the individual until he/she has created a Grant Forward Profile.
Allowable and Unallowable Expenditures
Funds must be used in direct support of the individual's research. However, Start-up funds may not be used for the individual's salary, nor for general office support. All expenditures must be in accordance with University policies and procedures. Costs must meet certain criteria to be considered allowable. Please refer to the Expenditure Guidelines below.
- Salaries of Research Assistants (graduate assistants or student wages)
- Research equipment;
- Research related materials/supplies;
- Costs for patents: unless patent is invalid or has expired;
- Specialized service facilities: computer centers, etc.
- Shipping and handling costs for research related equipment and supplies: freight, postage, etc.;
- Travel costs to support research;
- Professional services, e.g. consulting only if related directly to research project;
- Rental of building and equipment necessary for research project operation;
- Subscriptions of professional journals required for research;
- Research tools, e.g. books and databases.
- Faculty and departmental staff salary support;
- Other forms of personal compensation;
- General public relations and alumni activities;
- Student Activities unless related to research;
- Advertising not directly related to sponsored project;
- First class travel costs;
- Housing and personal living expenses;
- Scholarships and student aid;
- Moving costs;
- Personal items such as furniture for home offices, regalia, U.S. residency fees;
- Cash donations;
- Severance pay.