The William C. Shaw Sky Lab was dedicated on Oct. 27, 1978, in honor of William C. Shaw, a professor of physics at SIUE from 1953 to 1973.
The William C. Shaw Sky Lab is near the north edge of the campus. Turn off of North University Drive just south of the 4-way stop at New Poag Road. The turnoff, usually identified by a small ground-level sign, heads west and then turns left (south). Go past the model airplane field and the wooden picnic shelter, park near the south end, and walk on the gravel path (shown by dotted line) west to the viewing site. The path will usually be marked by posts with red lights.