Get Involved in Student Government
Interested in getting involved in Student Government? Here you will find all the information you need to run for an office or join a committee.
Student Government is currently accepting applications for an Election Commissioner for the Spring 2017 semester.
The Election Commissioner must have completed one academic semester as full-time students at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville; and must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 at the time of appointment and maintain said GPA during term in office.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
The application is now live so submit yours today! Simply click the link below to fill out the application!
- Prepare and distribute election materials, including election rules and interpretations thereof; applications, forms, information, and eligibility requirements for positions; a list of candidates for the positions to be filled and information on candidate affiliations; referendum materials; and ballots.
- Meet with all candidates within three days following the application deadline for candidacy.
- Determine and certify the eligibility of candidates. The Election Commissioner has the final decision in the eligibility of all candidates and the election process.
- Enforce election rules by investigating written charges filled by an enrolled student(s) alleging election rule violations by investigating election rule violations that otherwise come to his/her attention; by advising, verbally or by written notice, any applicable candidate(s) to cease any violation of election rules; and by disqualifying any candidate(s) guilty of election rule violations and taking appropriate action regarding the removal of such candidate(s) from election ballots.
- Ensure that polling places are properly arranged and staffed, and secured during the election.
- Validate with SIUE Instructional Technology Services within 24 hours of completing the final count of ballots and in accordance with the guidelines and requirements for each applicable position, any write-in candidate(s) who receive a sufficient number of votes to be elected. Submit, through the Election Commission to the Senate, a final report and make available to interested parties the following:
- The final tally of votes cast for candidates listed on the ballot and for write-in candidates.
- The validation of any write-in candidate(s) who receives a sufficient number of votes to be elected.
- Must attend all senate and executive board meetings.
- Make two monthly written and verbal reports at Senate and Executive Board meetings.
Election Commissioner Application, Spring 2017
Join a Committee
- Committee applications are available HERE!
- Contact the Internal Affairs Officer, Ramon DeSchazer at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more and get involved!