Accommodations available off-campus include furnished and unfurnished apartments, houses, townhomes, and single rooms within houses for rent. You can search the following resources for housing before you arrive.
Tips for Off-campus Housing
- Compare prices.
- Do not sign a lease until you have inspected the apartment, house, or room.
- Ask questions of former/current tenants or neighbors if possible.
- Check the deposit policy to see whther it is refundable. Landlords will not refund a deposit if the apartment needs major cleaning or repairs at the end of your rental term.
- Check lease duration. Most rental contracts are for 12 months.
- Negotiate the terms of the lease if you do not agree with all items.
- Get everything you agree on in writing.
- Read the entire lease before you sign it.
- Follow all terms of the contract you sign.
- Buy renter’s or property insurance (optional, but recommended).
Common Housing Abbreviations
- AC: air conditioning
- Avail: available
- BA: bathroom
- BR: bedroom
- blks: blocks
- DR: dining room
- DW: dishwasher
- frplc: fireplace
- furn: furnished
- gar: garage
- incl: included
- kit: kitchen
- lg: large
- LR: living room
- /mo: per month
- pd: paid
- uti: utilities (gas, water, electric)
- w/: with
- W/D: washer and dryer