Apply to SIUE
Graduate Students

Prospective Students

Graduate Students

Prospective Student Online Orientation

Why Choose SIUE for Graduate Study?

Graduate students choose SIUE for two main reasons: Quality and Value.
Back to top

Master's Degree Programs at SIUE

Graduate students can choose from more than 30 master's degree programs offered at SIUE.
Back to top

Certificate Programs at SIUE

If you are not sure that a master's degree program is right for you, you may wish to consider one of our many graduate certificate programs as a way to further advance your present career. The Graduate School offers a number of post-baccalaureate and post-master's degree programs.

A post-baccalaureate certificate is an organized program of study requiring at least 12 semester hours of graduate credit which leads to a specific set of skills or knowledge. A certificate confirms that a student has mastery of the content of a clearly defined sub-field of an academic major field of study. A certificate provides in-depth training, but not to the breadth of a master's degree. The completion of a certificate is noted on a student's transcript and is part of the University's official graduate offerings.

Prospective students interested in a certificate program should follow the same application procedures for admission to a Master's Degree Program detailed in the Graduate Catalog. In order to begin a certificate program, you must be admitted to the Graduate School as a classified graduate student. The program faculty must approve your admission into the certificate program and may add additional admission requirements such as course prerequisites.

The University offers a post-master's certificate in Nursing; post-baccalaureate certificates in English, History, Kinesiology, Mass Communications, and Speech Communication; and a certificate of completion in Gerontology. For additional information about these programs, please contact the appropriate department. Certificate requirements are listed in the Graduate Catalog section of this site.

If you are an international student you are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for admission to the Graduate School. Information on testing services is available on-line at or at (618) 650-2295. Testing Services is located in Peck Hall, room 1404.
Back to top

Cooperative Doctoral Programs at SIUE

A limited number of graduate programs at the University have cooperative doctoral arrangements with academic units at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. If you have completed or nearly completed your master's degree you can submit a cooperative doctoral application at either campus. Then you must satisfy the requirements for admission at each campus and be approved for admission to the program by the faculties of both campuses. Southern Illinois University Carbondale is the degree-granting institution for all doctoral degrees.

SIUE/SIUC offers three doctoral degrees: Doctor of Philosophy degree in Educational Administration; Doctor of Philosophy degree in Engineering Science; and the Doctor of Philosophy degree in History.

You can find out more information about these programs in the Graduate Catalog under Cooperative Doctoral Programs or by contacting the appropriate School/Department.
Back to top

Tuition and Fees for Graduate Students

The tuition and fees charged students are established by the Board of Trustees and are subject to change whenever conditions warrant. To view current tuition and fees click here.

You can find out additional information about your tuition and fees, including methods of payment, etc by visiting the Bursar's site at
Back to top

Graduate Student Awards and Assistantship Info

The Graduate School offers a number of Scholarships and Assistantships to help finance your graduate education.

Each year the Graduate School provides graduate stipends and tuition waivers for 19 students through the Competitive Graduate Award (CGA) program. Students in their first year of graduate study are eligible for the program. Guidelines and information about the CGA program are posted under the Assistantships & Awards section of this website. There you will also find additional information about a number of award programs offered through the Graduate School

Graduate students who have been accepted into a graduate program as a degree-seeking student are eligible for support through graduate assistantships. Many graduate assistants serve as teaching assistants for their department. The best source of information about teaching assistanships is through your departmental chair or graduate program advisor.

Opportunities for other graduate assistantships are posted on this website. You can view the current available positions using the Assistantships & Awards link on the navigation bar on the left. Each position posting provides you with information about the position, qualifications, salary, terms of appointment and contact information, as well as a description of the application materials that need to be submitted to the sponsoring program.
Back to top

Health Service

If you were born on or after January 1, 1957 you will be required to provide Health Service with a completed Immunization Record Form and proof of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella, and tetanus/diphtheria. This requirement is in compliance with legislation enacted by the State of Illinois.

Failure to comply with the immunization requirement means that you will not be allowed to register for any future term at the University and may be subject to a $25 fine and/or class cancellation.

International students should note that a PPD (Mantoux) Tuberculin skin test is required within five months of entering the University. International students must also provide proof of health insurance coverage for every semester of enrollment. Medical coverage must comply with minimum federal requirements 1) medical benefits of $50,000, 2) $7,500 and for repatriation coverage, and $10,000 for evacuation, 3) deductibles that do not exceed $500, 4) at least 80% coverage of medical expenses and psychiatric coverage.

For additional information about immunization requirements, call (618) 650-2843; for other services available through Health Service, call (618) 650-2842 or go to the Health Service website.
Back to top

University Housing: Finding a Place to Live

As a graduate student you may choose to reside on campus in the apartments at Cougar Village or at Bluff Hall, both of which are just short walks from classrooms, the library, and campus events. At Cougar Village, single students and family residents reside in smoke-free two- and three-bedroom apartments that include a full kitchen with appliances, dining room, bathroom, and living room. Single student apartments are fully furnished. Family residents may choose between furnished and unfurnished accommodations. At Bluff Hall, residents will occupy a four-person non-smoking suite with a common bath. Students may access the SIUE computer network from their room, as well as take advantage of the 24-hour computer lab and laundry facilities. Bluff Hall also features a multifunction room for activities, classroom, and the Bluff Hall Cafe.

All utilities, except off-campus telephone calls are included in the University Housing contract payment. Persons residing in Bluff Hall will be required to purchase a declining meal plan, while meal plans are optional at Cougar Village.

If you desire a more controlled living environment, "Graduate Student," "24 Hour Quiet" and "Substance Free" buildings are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Graduate students living in Bluff Hall will be assigned to the same general area.

To apply for housing at SIUE, you must complete and sign the application/contract and pay a nonrefundable $25 application fee, $75 reservation deposit (which becomes a damage deposit when you become a resident of University Housing), and a $200 advance payment. Your application/contract will not be accepted without the required $300 deposit. You should apply for housing as soon as possible due to limited availability. The preferred application deadline for fall semester is May 1, and December 1, for Spring Semester.

For additional information visit University Housing.
Back to top

International Student Services

The office of International Student Services is provides advice and information for our international students on issues that include admission, legal issues (immigration), and arrival instructions. The mission of International Student Services is to make your transition to the United States and academic sojourn at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

The ISS is located on the the 2nd floor (Room 2053) of Morris University Center. Our mailing address is: SIUE, Box 1616, Edwardsville, IL, 62026-1616. Information for international students is posted on the ISS website.

If you have questions or need further assistance, please call the ISS at (618) 650-3785 or come in during regular business hours. Be sure to bring your passport and immigration papers with you when you visit the office, especially if your questions are about immigration regulations.
Back to top

Lovejoy Library

The Elijah P. Lovejoy Library maintains a collection of more than 1,000,000 volumes and subscribes to more than 6,500 serials and periodicals. The Library's collection includes 1,500,000 microform items; 540,000 U.S. government documents; 150,000 maps; 43,000 multimedia titles; and thousands of special research items.

You can access many of the Library's services (including Interlibrary Loan, periodical databases, and Course Reserves).
Back to top

Campus Parking Services

If you have a vehicle on campus, you are required to display a valid parking decal. Student decals may be purchased at Parking Services, Room 1113 in Rendleman Hall. Lots are color coded to match the decals; signs at the lot entrances indicate the color of decals that may be used on each lot.

Each term, special decals are made available for graduate students to park in the green decal lots for evening classes. You should apply early because availability of these decals is limited.

Graduate Assistants are eligible to receive regular green decals for parking anytime.

For more information about parking regulations and decals, go to Parking Services or call them at 618-650-3680.
Back to top

Research and Academic Facilities

SIUE faculty members engage in a wide variety of research and sponsored projects. Most of these projects provide special opportunities for graduate students to further their education. Additionally, these activities provide challenging intern and practicum experiences for graduate students through affiliation with businesses in the greater St. Louis area. Check with faculty in your department for possible opportunities.
Back to top

Student Services Center

SIUE students can take care of most of their admission- and registration-related business in one office.
The Service Center, at the west end of the first floor of Rendleman Hall (Room 1309), offers the following services:
  • Class registration
  • Tuition calculation
  • Most Bursar's Office transactions (excluding picking up paychecks or refund checks, picking up a university key, or making department deposits)
  • Program changes (adds, drops, withdrawals)
  • ID Cards
  • Voluntary Meal Plan deposits
  • CougarNet and Cougar Job Finder access
  • Transcript requests
  • Applications for admission
  • Illinois residency applications
  • Address, name and ID changes
  • Graduate Student needs (applications, information, thesis, requests for policy exceptions, degree audit and graduation check, enrollment problems, graduate catalogs)
  • Help understanding your SIUE bill
  • Evening and Saturday assistance and liaison with instructors
  • Forms and general information related to a variety of undergraduate and graduate student concerns
  • VA Certification is in Rendleman Hall, Room 1207.

Most routine needs will be met in the Service Center. For questions or needs that cannot be met by the Service Center, students will receive a written referral to ensure they reach the person and office best able to help.

For more information, visit the Student Services website.
Back to top

Transfer of Credit

If you have completed graduate or advanced undergraduate courses at another institution, you may be able to transfer some of the credit into your graduate program at SIUE.

Once admitted and enrolled in classified (degree-seeking) status, you may request that credit for graduate level courses earned elsewhere or while in unclassified status at SIUE be accepted for application toward the program that you have been admitted.

To request transfer of credit you will need to complete the " Graduate Student Request Form."

To be considered for transfer, the credit must have been earned at an accredited institution or the foreign equivalent and must be credit that is applicable to a graduate degree at that institution.
Back to top
facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff socialoff