Grants & Awards
Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award
The Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award is designed to recognize and reward Graduate Assistants for outstanding performance in teaching and instruction.
One award will be given annually. The recipient will receive a cash award of $500 in recognition of exceptional effort and contributions to academic excellence through teaching and instruction.
To be eligible for the award, graduate students must:
- have held a graduate assistantship for one full term (Fall 2014, Spring 2015, or Summer 2015) in which instruction was the primary responsibility; and
- have had primary responsibility as a graduate assistant for providing instruction in the form of either lecturing, tutoring, grading, or some other activity in which the graduate assistant teaches and interacts with students at SIUE.
Each nomination packet must consist of two parts:
- Nomination by the academic unit (limited to one per department). A letter of nomination, not to exceed three pages, referencing the following criteria:
- Evidence of effectiveness in instruction, including mastery of teaching techniques and consideration of student needs, interests, and problems, including accessibility to students outside the classroom.
- Knowledge of subject matter evidenced by student evaluations, reviews by supervising faculty, peer review and/or departmental recognition awards.
- Concern with intellectual growth evidenced by student's own academic achievement and self-development.
The nomination must bear the signatures of the Teaching Assistant's immediate supervisor, department chair, graduate program director (if different), and the College or School dean.
- Letter from the nominated student addressing the following (not to exceed three pages):
- Description of course or courses taught as a Graduate Teaching Assistant, including your primary responsibilities for each course. Please identify the faculty supervisor for each of the courses listed (if applicable).
- Description of your teaching methods and general approach to teaching. Include any tools or techniques that you feel are particularly helpful to students. You may also comment on any of the three criteria for nomination by the academic unit, listed above.
Please only submit what is requested above. Any additional material will not be forwarded to the committee.
Deadline for Submission
Nomination materials must be received by the Graduate School to later than Friday, September 18, 2015 at 4:30 p.m. Materials can be emailed to GradauteSchool@siue.edu.
Nominations will be reviewed by the Graduate Student Award Committee, and the award will be presented at the Graduate School's Fall Graduate Student Honors Day Luncheon.