[IMAGE: Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo]
Apply to SIUE
Emergency Management & Safety
Emergency Management & Safety
[IMAGE: Institutional Header]

University policy requires that all departments participate in completing an access controlled CHEMIST online database of ALL chemicals and biohazards that are present on the SIUE campus.

This requirement is necessary to meet many needs beyond each individual department's own uses including, government mandated reports, assuring employee and student safety, and for the safety and decision-making of emergency response personnel such as firefighters, urban search and rescue, etc..

Paper or spreadsheet copies of inventories are acceptable for your department's own uses, but NOT for campus-wide needs.

Anyone possessing any quantity of chemicals for other than personal use must setup an account in the database, then enter and maintain their own inventory.

Examples of chemicals that may sometimes be overlooked for inventorying by departments are:

  • Cleaning products
  • Lead acid batteries
  • Glues/Adhesives
  • Paints
  • Aerosol sprays
  • Oils
  • Gasoline in containers
  • Alcohols
  • Photo developing chemicals
  • Art materials such as glazes, inks, dyes
  • Gas cylinders such as propane, nitrogen, etc.
  • Welding rods and flux
  • Biohazardous materials
  • Radioactive materials

If you have chemicals on campus (including remote properties) and need a new account in the CHEMist online database or a change in your access rights, email lpaul@siue.edu

Provide your:

  • Full name
  • Department
  • Your location
  • Phone number
  • Building and room numbers for which you need access/control to inventory
  • Username and password that you would like to use

Information on how to use the database after you login may be found by clicking on the HELP item in the left hand Menu area. This link will give an index of topics with how-to-use explanations including graphic simulations of the data entry screens.

You will be able to generate report listings based on department, individual rooms, etc., which may be printed out for your paper inventory.

Chemicals that are moved from an old location to a new one NEED TO BE TRANSFERRED, NOT ADDED AS NEW. If you add it as new, you will need to go to the old location anyway and mark it as Consumed. You will also have to type ALL of the required information into the fields for each new item. A How To sheet with screen shots is available HERE.

You may login by clicking on CHEMIST

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff socialoff