School of Education, Health and Human Behavior
Student Services assists prospective and current students in pursuing a major in one of the programs offered within the School of Education, Health and Human Behavior
. Student Services staff will work with students from their early stages of major exploration through graduation, helping with general program information, course registration, application to teacher education, field experiences, graduation requirements and teacher licensure.
Initial Contact with Student Services
1. After one semester of college work, call Student Services at (618) 650-3940 and fill out an evaluation form for Special Education. The Special Education Student Services advisor will review your academic information and send you a customized academic plan.
- Please send a copy of all your previous college course work unless you are an SIUE student or newly admitted to SIUE.
- Transfer students should be aware of the General Education Waiver
2. One you receive your customized academic plan, please review it and schedule a first appointment. Your plan will include personalized copies of the following forms: Program Sheet, General Information and Guidelines, ICTS Registration Information
First Appointments in Student Services: First appointments are designed for you to meet your advisor, discuss the program requirements, review your program sheet, and provide an opportunity to ask your advisor specific questions. For your first appointment, you should bring the following documents:
- Your program sheet [ pdf]
- A list of questions you may have for your advisor
Declaring a Special Education Major
Until you are declared as an education major, advising will officially take place in Academic Counseling and Advisement ( www.siue.edu/advising/
). If you have any questions before you are declared, you are welcome to e-mail or schedule an appointment with an Student Services advisor. Registration of general education courses will occur with an advisor in Academic Advising. Once admitted to SIUE, you will receive an identification number and PIN so you may register online for courses.
Students must have met the following requirements in order to declare.
1) Passed SPE 200 (or its equivalent) with a B or higher;
2) Completed the five "skills" courses (ENG 101;ENG 102; SPC 103 or 105; PHIL or MATH 106; and STAT 107 or CS or CMIS 108) with a C or higher;
3) Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (all post-secondary institutions attended); and in "good standing" status at SIUE (if in attendance);
4) Passed the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency ( test code 400). If scores are not on file, students must provide a copy to Academic Advising when declaring;
5) 42 semester hours completed
Please note: Students must maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative SIUE and 2.5 combined GPA (all post-secondary institutions) while completing all course work with a minimum grade of "C" in order to remain an Education major.
Once you have declared your major, you will register for your classes with your Student Services advisor. Each student will receive a Program Sheet and it is the student's responsibility to keep the Program Sheet
updated and bring it to each advising appointment.
DECLARED SPECIAL EDUCATION MAJORS
Declared majors who are not
admitted into the Special Education program may take the following classes: EPFR 315, EPFR 320, SPPA 290 and their Interdisciplinary Studies (IS) class. Students must be a junior to register for an IS class.
If you were not admitted to a cohort, you may re-apply for the next cohort program. Applications are due the first Monday in March for a fall cohort; or the first Monday in October for a spring cohort.
Students must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA and have a C or higher in their special education and professional education classes to remain in the program. If a student falls to get a C their courses or their professional GPA drops below 3.0, the student must reapply to the program. If accepted, the student must establish a plan with Faculty to enter a new "cohort".
Apply to the Special Education Program >>
Additional Endorsements/Approvals >>