Thank you for your interest in serving as a cooperating teacher. We hope you find the information contained helpful. If you do not find what you are looking for, please contact us.
In order to serve as an SIUE Cooperating Teacher, one must:
1. Be licensed and qualified to teach in the requested area as well as actively teaching in the area
2. Have three years of teaching experience in a public school or an Il State Recognized nonpublic school
3. Have received a proficient or above performance rating on his or her most recent evaluation
4. Be considered an excellent mentor for a teacher candidate
Cooperating teachers play a vital role in preparing SIUE’s teacher candidates. Cooperating teachers are expected to:
• Provide regular and constructive feedback to teacher candidates placed in their classrooms.
• Provide opportunities for the teacher candidate to use their knowledge in your classroom.
• Provide the University Supervisor with input and a recommendation on the final grade for the teacher candidate.
• Allow the teacher candidate to video his/her teaching performance and the impact this instruction is having on student learning. Students and their voices must be recorded and student work samples scanned as evidence that learning is occurring. To protect their identity, only students’ first names will be used in the recording and the names will be coded on the scanned student work. District policy will be followed in regards to parent permission for the recording and scanning.