Our department offers a wide range of graduate and undergraduate programs for teachers and those who would like to become teachers. Faculty members in our department also work with school districts and professional organizations to improve educational opportunities for children and adolescents. This is an exciting and challenging time to be in education. Come join us!
Our department offers graduate programs in Curriculum and Instruction (P-12), Literacy Education (Reading Specialist), Special Education (P-12), and Secondary Education (Grades 6-12) that can help you extend and deepen your knowledge and skills in teaching and learning in a particular subject area such as literacy, math, science or social studies; working with a particular age group such as early childhood, elementary, middle school, or high school; or other areas such as curriculum development, differentiating instruction, assessing student learning, or becoming a teacher leader. A faculty mentor will help you design a program of study to meet your professional needs.
Our department offers two types of programs that lead to an initial teaching certificate. If you do not yet have a bachelor’s degree, you can earn a teaching license while you complete your bachelor’s degree in one of four areas: Early Childhood Education (birth to Grade 2), Elementary Education (Grades 1-6), Special Education (P-12), or Secondary Education (Grades 6-12). If you already have a bachelor’s degree that is not in that field of education, you can become an Early Childhood Education teacher through the EChOS program.
Dr. Susan Breck, Department Chair, (618) 650‑3444
• Dr. Martha Latorre, Early Childhood Education, (618) 650‑2223
• Dr. Stephen Marlette, Elementary Education, (618) 650‑2131
• Dr. Jessica Krim, Secondary Education, (618) 650‑5824
• Dr. Wendy Fuchs, Special Education, (618) 650‑3487
• Dr. Susanne James, MSED in Special Education, (618) 650‑3489
• Dr. Stephanie McAndrews, Literacy Education, (618) 650‑3426
• Dr. Barbara O'Donnell, MSED in C&I (P-12), (618) 650‑3422
• Julie LaTempt-Brazier, Office Support Specialist, (618) 650‑3083