There are numerous ways for students to become more involved in anthropology outside of academics, including participating in student organizations affiliated with the department: Anthropology Club and Anthropology in Action. Students do not need to be Anthropology majors or minors to join these student student organizations or attend events. SIUE also hosts a chapter of the National Collegiate Honors Society for Anthropology, Lambda Alpha.
- The Anthropology Club is a registered student organization at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, affiliated with the Department of Anthropology.
- The goal of the club is to foster interest in anthropology among the SIUE community.
- Membership is open to anyone with an interest in anthropology and affiliated with SIUE. Members do not have to be majors or minors in anthropology.
- Voting members and officers have additional requirements of maintaining a 2.0 grade point average, and payment of dues ($5.00 per semester). All other individuals may participate as associate members, and are welcome at all meetings, programs, and activities.
- The Anthropology Club organizes and participates in a number of activities. These have included SIUE Preview, "ethnic dinner nights" at local restaurants, field trips to local and regional sites of interest (e.g., Cahokia Mounds ), and guest speakers.
If you are interested in more information about the Anthropology Club, please contact one of the officers, or our faculty adviser (email addresses below).
President: Nigel Knutzen (firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President: Maudie Knicley
Secretary: Shannon Miller
Treasurer: Ashley Bivin
Faculty Adviser: Julie Holt (email@example.com
The Anthropology Club is an equal opportunity organization, with programs and activities available to all individuals without regard to race, sexual orientation, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, or any other factor protected by law.
- Lambda Alpha is the National Collegiate Honors Society for Anthropology, and SIUE is the Illinois Alpha Chapter of this society.
- Membership in this society allows students to participate in the annual scholarship competition for juniors and seniors, allows for submission of student work to the Lambda Alpha journal for consideration for publication, and allows students to be recognized as a member at graduation (you get swag for your robes).
- You don't need to be an anthropology major or minor to join Lambda Alpha. Lifetime membership is $25.
The requirements for joining are:
- Undergraduates must be currently enrolled.
- Undergraduates must have taken at least 12 credit hours in anthropology courses.
- Undergraduates must have an overall 2.5 or better GPA.
- Undergraduates must have a GPA of 3.0 or better in their anthropology courses.
Please visit Lambda Alpha's national homepage for more information, or contact the chapter advisor, Dr. Julie Holt (firstname.lastname@example.org