Recent Sustainability achievements include:
- Parking lot lighting converted to LED light fixtures
- A 30-kilowatt solar array installed on top of the new Science Building
- Increased the amount of electricity purchased from renewable sources to 50 percent
- Distributed more than 10,000 re-usable water bottles to incoming freshmen
- Founding Member, St. Louis Higher Education Sustainability Consortium
- Established bike share program
- Installed water bottle re-fill stations in academic and administrative buildings
- SIUE received a silver rating through the Sustainability Tracking Assessment and Rating System (STARS), a self-reporting tool for colleges and universities to measure their sustainability performance.
- Retro-commissioning projects for a large number of buildings to improve their energy efficiency
- SIUE has completed a $300 million construction and infrastructure improvement plan, adding innovative state-of-the-art buildings and enhancing existing structures. All new campus construction is Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) certifiable by the U.S. Green Building Council. The new Art and Design Building has achieved a LEED gold rating. The Science Building, Lukas Athletics Annex, Engineering Building Addition and the School of Dental Medicine's Multidisciplinary Labaoratory have achieved a LEED silver rating. SIUE is second in the region for the number of LEED buildings on university campuses.
To learn more about SIUE's sustainability initiatives and accomplishments, you are encouraged to check out the following links: