Project Females of African-Descent Modeling Excellence (F.A.M.E)
Females of African-Descent Modeling Excellence (F.A.M.E.) is a six-credit, two-semester program for entering freshmen. It is designed to assist African-American females in their success at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) through academic, social and co-curricular activities. This year 20 students will be selected to participate in the program. Each participant is an incoming freshman who is selected based on high school GPA, ACT score, leadership potential, volunteer experience, and potential for success at SIUE. Please note that there is a $45 application fee due when the application is returned.
The Student Opportunities for Academic Results (SOAR) Office agrees to provide FAME participants:
- An academic advisor to assist participants in selecting and registering for courses required for their selected major.
- Tutorial support for most classes.
- Supplemental instruction for specified courses.
- Tickets and transportation to selected cultural events, free of charge.
- Assistance with personal issues or challenges that may impede academic progress.
- Requests for mid-term reports from participants' professors regarding their academic progress during the seventh week of the semester.
- Reports of participants' academic progress to their parents.
Expectations For FAME participants:
- Have consistent attendance and participation in every class.
- Complete all homework assignments.
- Attend tutoring
- Attend assigned study sessions
- Make regular appointments with your advisor.
- Notify SOAR Office of any changes of address or phone number.
- Give consent for academic progress reports from your instructors to be sent to the SOAR Office.
- Give consent for the SOAR Office to send your academic progress reports to your parents.
- IN-CLASS ATTIRE: Collared Shirts or Blouses, Slacks or Skirts.
For Parents of FAME Participants:
- Expect to receive academic progress reports from your daughter.
- If no progress reports are received, encourage your daughter to make contact with her instructor(s).
- Discuss progress reports with your daughter.
- Maintain contact with Program Director, Dr. Earleen Patterson (618) 650-3790.
The 2017/2018 FAME Application
**Please submit your application and materials in one of the following ways:
Fax: (618) 650-5338
Student Opportunities for Academic Results
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Campus Box 1641
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1641