Veteran’s Day Parade
"The Edwardsville Veteran's Day parade began on November 11, 1919, on the first anniversary of the end of WWI, and has been held continuously every year, rain or shine, except for two years during WWII. Before Edwardsville had city streetlights, the Boy Scouts would walk the parade route with railroad flares to illuminate the parade participants. The Edwardsville Veteran's Day parade is co-sponsored by the Edwardsville VFW and the American Legion and is held yearly on Veteran's Day at 7:00 p.m. to honor local veterans. The parade starts on North Main at the fire station and heads to Vandalia Street, where the parade heads west and ends at the County Building. Each year, 85-125 units participate in the parade. Parade participants include a color guard, all divisions of the military, school and community groups, and numerous floats and bands."