SIUE is recognized as a STARS Silver Institution for accomplishments in campus sustainability. The rating is based on the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System for campus-wide sustainable practices from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.
SIUE has completed a $300 million construction and infrastructure improvement plan. All new campus construction is Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) certifiable by the U.S. Green Building Council. SIUE is second in the region for the number of LEED® buildings on a university campus. Currently, the SIUE campus is home to six LEED® certified buildings:
- Art & Design West – LEED Gold
- School of Dental Medicine’s Multidisciplinary Laboratory – LEED Silver
- Lukas Athletic Annex – LEED Silver
- Science Building West – LEED Silver
- Engineering Building Addition – LEED Silver
- One residential building in Cougar Village – LEED Residential