A systematic records management program adds value to the daily functions of the staff. The University benefits when proper records management is practiced by the staff. The benefits are:
- Organizing information for retrieval when needed.
- Protecting records that are essential to mission-critical business operations.
- Ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory recordkeeping requirements, thereby avoiding costly fines or other penalties.
- Reducing risks in litigations, government investigations, and the legal discovery process.
- Reducing labor requirements for the creation, organization, retrieval and dissemination of recorded information.
- Minimizing storage requirements (space, equipment, and supplies) for a given quantity of records. Destroy or delete records according to the University's records retention schedules. Records schedules can be found here.
- Reducing the time and effort required to reconstruct vital information in the event of disaster, theft, and other losses.