text only
Institutional Header

Question #1. Are there any conditions and/or dollar limit for which the cardholder is personally liable? What are they?

Answer: The only conditions under which a cardholder would be personally liable would be when the cardholder makes personal purchases or makes fraudulent use of the card.

Question #2. What exactly is fraudulent use?

Answer: Fraudulent use is the deliberate use of the card for purposes other than that for which it was intended; i.e., other than legitimate University business, often for personal gain at the expense of the University.

Question #3. Is my personal credit rating affected by use of this card or University non-payment of charges?

Answer: No. This question was asked of J.P. Morgan Chase prior to implementation of the p-card program at SIU. The bank advised that the contract is between J.P. Morgan Chase and SIU. The name on the account is SIU, not the cardholder. No credit information is reported in the name of the cardholder.

Question #4. Can I use something other than my mother's maiden name for the verifying requirement?

Answer: This is a banking industry procedure and is intended as a safeguard for the account and the cardholder. You could provide a name other than your mother's maiden name but you risk not being able to remember the name you supplied when you have to call J.P. Morgan Chase to discuss a problem.

Question #5. If the card is lost or stolen or the number is obtained and used without the cardholder's permission, what is the cardholder's responsibility?

Answer: The cardholder's responsibility is to call J.P. Morgan Chase immediately to report the card as lost or stolen. The cardholder should also notify his supervisor and Starla Nixon, P-Card Administrator, immediately.

Question #6. If the card is lost or stolen or the number is used without the cardholder's knowledge, what is the cardholder' personal liability?

Answer: The cardholder is not personally liable for charges made on a lost or stolen card or via improperly obtained card numbers.

Question #7. Why do I have to provide my Banner Identification number?

Answer: This is a credit card/banking industry requirement. The Banner Identification number is used as a unique identification number of cardholders in order to avoid confusion and mistakes due to similarities of names, etc.  We are no longer utilizing social security numbers in PaymentNet.

Question #8. If my budget is small, can I reduce the amount that one is allowed to purchase with the card? Conversely, if I need the ability to make larger purchase amounts, can I raise the limits? How do I do this?

Answer: All limits are set at the default limits.  A department can request higher limits for one-time purchases.  An email requesting a PCE # for the purchase(s) requiring the higher limits must be sent to the Director of Purchasing.  The email should also indicate that the HIGHER TRANSACTION & MONTHLY LIMIT REQUEST FORM is in process.  The form must be signed by the Vice Chancellor for Administration.  The higher limits will be in effect for only a short period of time. (3/2010)

Question #9. What if I make a mistake?

Answer: Then you should take the necessary steps to rectify the mistake, similar to what you would be expected to do if you made a mistake using any other method of purchasing goods or services for University business.

Question #10. What if I disagree with the bank....who backs me up?

Answer: You should call the P-Card Administrator and request assistance. She will assist you in resolving the problem.

Question #11. How do I handle problems with a vendor if they are automatically paid?

Answer: You should first call the vendor and try to resolve the problem. If this fails you should next call J.P. Morgan Chase and advise them that you are disputing the charge. The bank will suspend the charge until it is resolved.

Question #12.When should I use the old paper Purchase Orders system?

Answer: Anytime that the credit card cannot be used. Some vendors will not accept credit cards and some items cannot be purchased by credit card per University policy. Refer to Credit Card Purchasing Regulations. This list is distributed at the cardholders, departmental card managers, and approvers training sessions. Additional copies may be obtained from Starla Nixon, P-Card Administrator.

Question #13. What safeguards are in effect now that anyone with a P-card can charge to my account?

Answer: Mistakes can sometimes happen as they did with charges to the wrong account by SIUE service departments, for example, prior to the implementation of the procurement card program. Any erroneous charges against a University account should be immediately reported to the P-Card Administrator and corrective action will be taken.

Question #14. What is the procedure for obtaining expenditure approvals for items that will be charged to an account with a different fiscal officer?

Answer: Send an e-mail request to the fiscal officer or delegate of the account to be charged and wait to receive approval before making the purchase. Print a copy of both the e-mail request and response and keep with the other transaction information. The e-mail is independent of the P-Card system.

Question #15. How can charges to the wrong procurement card by a vendor like OfficeMax, be corrected?

Answer: The vendor's customer service representative should be called and the problem explained. The vendor will correct the error.

Question #16. My fiscal officer (approver) has not seen any of the transactions that I, as card manager for my department, have reviewed. What should I do?

Answer: Call Starla Nixon, P-Card Administrator, at extension 3257 for assistance.

Question #17. What about food purchases? I understand that meals cannot be purchased with the procurement card.

Answer: The purchase of meals with the p-card for employees in travel status or for University guests is prohibited. The purchase of unprepared and prepared food for legitimate University business other than guest and travel meals is permitted. Examples include purchases by Food Service, by University Housing for resident student activities, and for functions in accordance with University policy and approved by the appropriate Vice Chancellor.

Question #18. Can postage stamps be purchased with the procurement card?

Answer: No. All postage stamps must be purchased through the campus post office due to a State law requiring all postage stamps purchased by the University to be perforated.

Question #19. What is the procedure for terminating an employee's card?

Answer: Send an e-mail to the P-Card Administrator, Starla Nixon.  Please provide the name of the employee, the effective date of the termination and the disposition of the card.  She will cancel the card in PaymentNet.

Question #20. Can we order through the internet?

Answer: Yes, but only if using a secure web site and cardholder is confident that he/she is dealing with a reputable firm and if provisions have been made for SIU's Tax Exempt status.

Question #21. Are we required to purchase all office supplies from OfficeMax?

Answer: Yes, unless the particular item is not available from Boise. The University has a prime vendor contract with OfficeMax which should generally provide the lowest prices available.

Question #22. What if I can find an item at a vendor other than OfficeMax that is cheaper in price?

Answer: You should call OfficeMax customer service and ask them if they will match the lower price. They will generally do this. By doing this, it helps to make the prime vendor program a success. Purchasing exclusively from one vendor will help to obtain the lowest possible bids from vendors when subsequent contracts are let for bid.

Question #23. What if a registration fee or other goods or services has to be paid from several accounts?

Answer: This can be easily accomplished by the departmental card manager when the credit card charge is reconciled. This procedure is covered in training. Questions may be addressed to the P-card Administrator.

Question #24. What are the record retention requirements for p-card receipts and Invoices?

Answer: According to the University’s Records Manager, Gary Dunn, these documents should be retained in the department for a total of seven years; six previous plus the current year.

Question #25. What internal approvals are required within the user departments before purchases may be made by a cardholder?

Answer: Fiscal Officers may structure the internal departmental p-card purchase approvals to meet the needs of the department, but all purchases should be approved in advance. The approvals may be in the form of individual verbal or written approvals, or blanket type approvals in which the cardholder has been delegated the authority by the fiscal officer to make certain kinds of purchases to meet the department's needs without having to obtain the fiscal officer's prior approval for each individual item to be purchased.

Question #26. When it is necessary to go off campus to pick up an item and pay with the p-card, is it permissible to use our personal vehicle or does the cardholder have to use a University vehicle? If a personal auto is used for University business, does the University provide insurance coverage?

Answer: Cardholders are encouraged to use University vehicles. On the Edwardsville campus, a University vehicle is available at Transportation Service in the Supporting Services building. On the Alton campus, University vehicles are available at the Business Affairs Office in the Administration Building. On the East St. Louis campus, University vehicles are available at the Director's Office in the East St. Louis Center building. Personal vehicles may be used but insurance coverage is not provided by the University. State travel regulations require an employee to have adequate insurance coverage on his or her personal vehicle when on University business. This is also a State legal requirement.

The 'e'