1. A unit 3 in which tenure may be held shall be defined as one whose mission is preponderantly teaching and scholarship 4 and whose nature either:
1. reflects the existence of a demonstrably coherent field of knowledge which is likely to endure as such, or
2. reflects a scholarship capability which is likely to endure.
2. An academic unit may be authorized by the Chancellor as a tenure-granting unit based upon the recommendations of the University faculty or its representative body, in accord with the principles specified in A.1. and A.2. above.
3. If an academic unit is merged with another academic unit or reorganized into a new unit, the tenured faculty in that unit shall not lose their tenured appointments because of such reorganization. The locus of tenure for these faculty shall transfer to the new or merged unit.
3Hereafter, the word "Unit" refers to the departments or equivalent units as defined in the Statutes of the Board of Trustees and the word "School" also refers to Lovejoy Library and the College of Arts and Sciences, and the word "Dean" also refers to the Director of Lovejoy Library.
4Scholarship in this document is defined broadly as including research, scholarly activities, and creative activity, which vary from discipline to descipline.