Susan Thomas, Ph.D., M.B.A., M.A.
Associate Provost for Academic Planning and
- Serve as Acting Provost in the absence of the Provost.
- Direct strategic academic planning to promote excellence through a unique portfolio of contemporary liberal education and professional studies, overseeing program, personnel and budget development in accord with the academic deans, the Faculty Senate and other administrative units including the University Planning and Budget Council, SIU President's Office and the Board of Trustees; lead the Budget Working Group within the Office of the Provost (including the Director of Business Affairs and the Assistant to the Provost for Human Resources).
- Supervise the personnel, budget, and programs of the newly developed, integrated Academic Advancement Center. The units of the Academic Advancement Center include Academic Advising (including advising in the Schools/College and Athletic Advising), Instructional Services, Student Opportunities for Academic Results (SOAR), Johnetta Haley Academy, Honors Program and the Meridian Scholars); serve as liaison with the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs to manage the Student Success Center and develop and promote innovative and effective student success and retention strategies.
- Supervise the personnel, budget and programs of the Office of Educational Outreach including Credit and Distance Education, Summer School, Community Education Programs and Conferences and Institutes to increase the quality and impact of the University's offerings associated with its extended campus.
- Coordinate Provost Office review of curriculum with the Assistant Provost for Institutional Diversity and Inclusion and manage program accreditation processes to maintain continuous improvement in the delivery of excellent undergraduate, graduate and profession al academic programs.