University Policy on Pets and Animals - 6F1
- No animals are permitted in University buildings or facilities, with the exception of the following: service animals for persons with disabilities; animals used by law enforcement or emergency personnel in the exercise of their official duties; animals used in academic programs for teaching or research; animals used in University sponsored or approved programs; or animals approved pursuant to University Housing resident guidelines, including therapy animals for residents with disabilities. Approved therapy animals are not permitted in University buildings other than Housing units.
- All animals brought onto any campus must be leashed or caged, unless inside of a Housing unit, and under the constant supervision and control of their owner or other responsible individual. Animals that are unleashed, or unattended if leashed, on University property may be impounded.
- The owner or individual responsible for an animal's presence on any campus shall be responsible for the removal and sanitary disposal of any excrement deposited by the animal on University property.
- The owners of animals brought onto any campus are strictly liable for any damage to property or injury to persons caused by their animals.
- If applicable, all animals brought onto any campus must be vaccinated and/or licensed as required by state or local laws.
Persons wishing to report a loose or unattended animal, or those who wish to inquire about an animal that may have been impounded should contact the University Police at 618-650-3324. Individuals with questions regarding the implementation of this policy should contact the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration at 618-650-2536.
Approved by Chancellor effective 9/22/15
This policy was issued on September 23, 2015, replacing the January 24, 2013 version.
Document Reference: 6F1
Origin: EB 2-3; OC 1/11/13; OC 9/22/15