Regulations Governing Alcoholic Beverages at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
The use of alcoholic beverages in or on any property owned or controlled by Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is governed by the laws of the State of Illinois and the regulations of the University. The following regulations have been approved by the Chancellor, SIUE and the President of the SIU System, and shall govern the use of alcoholic beverages at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
- The use, including sale, delivery, possession, and consumption of alcoholic beverages in or on any property owned or controlled by the University is strictly prohibited, except as otherwise provided in these regulations. Where permitted under these regulations, the use of alcoholic beverages on or in University premises shall be considered a privilege and shall be permitted only if consistent with State law and University regulations, and only if such use shall not interfere with the decorum and academic demeanor of the University.
- The use of alcoholic beverages on University premises is permitted only in the following cases:
- The possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages is permitted in student, faculty, or family housing which is owned and controlled by the University under the following conditions.
- Alcoholic beverages may be possessed and consumed by persons 21 years of age or older in private living areas.
- Private living areas shall be defined as the individual living unit of the resident.
- A private living area does not include areas such as lounges, indoor recreational areas, hallways, multi-purpose rooms, laundry rooms, libraries, or grounds surrounding any University housing unit.
- Possession for the purpose of transporting alcoholic beverages to the above prescribed areas is not prohibited except in accordance with State and local laws governing the transportation of alcohol.
- Whenever possible individual residents will be given an opportunity to move into a living unit where alcoholic beverages are not possessed or
- Additional restrictions on, or the total prohibition of, the use of alcoholic beverages by tenants of legal age may be established by a majority action of tenants of that housing unit.
- All guests who visit the University housing unit are subject to this regulation. Each resident will be responsible for seeing that his/her guest(s) complies with the alcoholic beverage regulation. Non-compliance in these regulations by guests can result in disciplinary actions against the host resident and in direct action against the guest for unlawful use of University facilities.
- The sale, delivery, possession, and consumption of alcoholic beverages by and to persons 21 years of age and older is permitted in those University facilities officially designated for use as faculty centers, in accordance with the policies and regulations of such faculty centers, and the provisions and limitations of the Illinois Liquor Control Act, Ill. Rev. Stat. 1979, ch. 43, par. 94
- The sale, delivery, possession, and consumption of alcoholic beverages is permitted in the Center for Spirituality and Sustainability of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
- Pursuant to Public Act 82-557, the Chancellor, SIUE, or his/her designee may approve, subject to any limitations specified in administrative guidelines developed pursuant to paragraph 7 of these Regulations, the sale, delivery, possession, and consumption of alcoholic beverages by and to persons 21 years of age or older who are attending "conferences and/or convention-type activities" or "cultural, political, or educational activities" on designated University premises.
- The sale or delivery of alcoholic beverages in or on any University property is prohibited except in accordance with paragraph 2 preceding.
- Monies collected through or by the University for any campus organization will not be allowed to be used for the purchase of any form of alcoholic beverage.
- The University assumes no responsibility for any liability incurred as a result of any person's and/or organization's violation of these regulations, applicable laws governing alcoholic beverages, or any administrative guidelines established to implement and/or administer these regulations.
- The basic responsibility for compliance with these regulations will be incumbent upon all members of the University community. The overall responsibility for the enforcement of these regulations will rest with the administrative staff of the University, especially the University housing staff, the staff of the Office of Educational Outreach, and such other persons or offices as are appropriate in accordance with the established policies and procedures governing the University discipline system.
- Administrative guidelines necessary to the proper implementation, control, and supervision of these regulations shall be developed and approved by the Chancellor of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville and filed with the Office of the President.
Approved by President effective 4/20/82
This policy was issued on February 24, 2009, replacing the August 28, 2008 version.
Document Reference: 6C1
Origin: OC 4/23/82