Buildings and Facilities
SIUE Smoking Policy - 6A2
- In accordance with the Smoke Free Illinois Act (410 ILCS 82/1 et seq), smoking is prohibited in all buildings on Southern Illinois University Edwardsville campuses, and within 15 feet from entrances, exits, windows that open, and ventilation intakes that serve an enclosed area where smoking is prohibited. This policy applies to all persons on University property, including students, employees, vendors, contractors and visitors.
- This smoking prohibition includes cigarettes, e-cigarettes, pipes, cigars, hookahs, water pipes, and similar devices.
- Smoking is also prohibited in all University owned, leased or operated vehicles.
- Persons who violate the Act are subject to prosecution and fines pursuant to State of Illinois law.
- It is the responsibility of all members of the University community to ensure that this Smoking Policy is adhered to and enforced. In the event of a violation, employees, students, and other persons using University facilities may bring the situation to the attention of the appropriate supervisor or administrator for resolution.
- Questions regarding the implementation or enforcement of this Policy should be referred to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration.
Approved by Chancellor effective 2/19/14.
This policy was issued on March 12, 2014, replacing the February 8, 2000 version.
Document Reference: 6A2
Origin: OP 1/14/82; OP 5/31/91; OP 4/21/95; OC 2/19/14