Policy on the Structure and Function of the Intercollegiate Athletic Committee - 3F1
The Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics is constituted as a free-standing committee of the University. The Committee derives its functions from authority of the Chancellor and is responsible to the Chancellor through the designated administrative line officer. Intercollegiate Athletics is understood to include the programs for both men and women.
- The Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics must meet the membership criteria established by the National Collegiate Athletic Association and will consist of voting members and
ex officio members without vote.
- The voting members will consist of seventeen persons: eight faculty members appointed by the Faculty Senate, the NCAA representative appointed by the Chancellor, four staff members appointed by the University Staff Senate, and four students appointed by the Student Senate; at least one student will be a member of the Student Senate. No more than two faculty members will be selected from any one professional school, library or support unit of the University; not more than three faculty members will be selected from the College of Arts and Sciences. Appointments will be made consistent with the diverse nature of the University community.
Ex officio members serving without vote shall consist of the Director of Athletics, and others appointed as determined by the Chancellor.
- In case of resignation or other vacancies on the Committee, the appropriate constituency body shall select the replacement in the same manner as an original appointment.
TERM OF OFFICE
- Voting members of the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics shall serve four-year terms with the initial membership staggered so that four faculty members, two staff members, and two students shall be selected for four-year terms and four faculty members, two staff members, and two students selected for two-year terms.
- After the initial year of operation, all selections to the Committee shall be for four-year terms. Members may be reappointed.
CHAIR SELECTION AND DUTIES
The ICAC shall elect a Chair annually from its faculty members. The Chair may be reelected. Elections shall be by ballot. A majority of the votes cast shall be necessary for election. Duties of the Chair include, but are not limited to:
- Scheduling ICAC meetings through email when maximum attendance is possible. Supplying members of the Committee with agendas and documents necessary for discussion of business to be considered.
- Conducting ICAC meetings according to acceptable parliamentary procedures.
- Ensuring that all actions of the ICAC (recommendations, reports, minutes, etc.) are distributed promptly to appropriate recipients after the action has been approved by the ICAC, and providing information on matters of general interest to the University community.
- The responsibilities of the ICAC are to review, develop, and make recommendations on matters relating to the Intercollegiate Athletic program at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. These include, but are not limited to:
- Monitoring implementation and application of policies related to the Intercollegiate Athletic program.
- Reviewing and recommending on all guidelines and schedules for Intercollegiate Athletic competition.
- Reviewing and recommending on all budgets and financial planning for Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Reviewing and recommending on all Athletic personnel decisions.
- Reviewing and recommending on plans for major changes in the Intercollegiate Athletic program.
- The Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics shall give adequate public notice of the time, date, and place of all its meetings. Notice shall be posted on the Athletic website.
- The designated administrative line officer is charged by the Chancellor with administrative responsibility for all aspects of intercollegiate athletics. All actions, recommendations, proposals, and reports of the Committee shall be forwarded or reported to the Chancellor, through the designated administrative line officer, for approval.
Approved by Chancellor effective 12/8/10
This policy was issued on January 6, 2011, replacing the September 22, 1998 version.
Document Reference: 3F1
Origin: OP 1/7/80; OP 8/31/84; OP 5/3/89; OC 12/1/97; OC 12/8/10