Firearms Policy - 2C10 & 3C11
- General Policy. It is the policy of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville to regulate, in conformance with applicable law and Board of Trustees Policy 7(K), the possession, storage, or carrying of firearms on or in real or personal property owned or controlled by the University, including without limitation University land, buildings, and other facilities, owned or leased automobiles, and other personal property.
- Applicability. This policy shall apply to all persons present on or in real or personal property owned or controlled by the University. Real property owned or controlled by the University includes all buildings, classrooms, laboratories, clinics, hospitals, artistic venues, entertainment venues, parking areas, sidewalks, housing areas, outbuildings, common areas, farmland, natural areas, lakes, ponds, waterways and all other real estate under the control of the University, including without limitation all such real property owned by or leased, rented, or licensed to the University. Personal property owned or controlled by the University includes without limitation all vehicles, boats, motorcycles, and aircraft owned by or leased, rented, or licensed to the University.
- Firearm. “Firearm” means any device, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding, any such device used exclusively for the firing of stud cartridges, nails, explosive rivets or similar industrial ammunition in the possession and control of an authorized contractor present on University property pursuant to a valid and existing contract with the University or in the possession or control of an authorized University employee in the course of his or her duties for the University.
- Handgun. “Handgun” means any firearm that is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.
- Possession of a Firearm. "Possession of a firearm” as used in this Policy is the keeping, having or controlling of a firearm in any manner, constructive or actual, including but not limited to the storage of a firearm on, in or about property, real or personal, owned or controlled by the University.
- Carrying of a Firearm. “Carrying a firearm” is defined as possessing a firearm directly on one’s person, whether concealed or unconcealed.
- For purposes of this Policy, “case” includes a vehicular glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
- Possession of Firearms Prohibited. The possession, storage, and carrying (concealed or otherwise) of firearms on or in property, real and personal, owned or controlled by the University is prohibited except as follows:
- The firearm is in the possession or control of an on-duty sworn law enforcement officer;
- The firearm is in possession or control of armored car security personnel authorized by the laws of the State of Illinois to possess firearms and who are actively engaged in their duties for an armored car company authorized to perform such services within the State of Illinois;
- When authorized in writing by the University’s Police Chief;
- The firearm is being used in connection with a firearms safety course or firearms education course, including without limitation concealed carry courses, offered or approved by the University;
- A person licensed by the State of Illinois to carry a concealed handgun may carry a concealed handgun on or about his or her person within a vehicle into a University parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area; provided, however, that no handgun may be possessed or carried in any parking lot designated as a firearms free parking area as provided in Section 5B of this Policy.
- After first unloading the handgun of all ammunition, a person licensed by the State of Illinois to carry a concealed handgun may carry the handgun, concealed on his or her person or entirely enclosed in a case, in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a University parking area only for the limited purpose of storing that handgun within the vehicle's trunk or other secure compartment or retrieving same; provided, however, that no handgun may be possessed or carried in any parking lot designated as a firearms free parking area as provided in Section 5B of this Policy.
- A firearm stored at a University-designated site in the custody and control of University’s Police Department. This option shall only be available to students actively enrolled at the University and residing in University owned or controlled housing. Unless licensed by the State of Illinois to carry a concealed handgun in which case such students may store the handgun (and no other types of firearm) in his or her vehicle in accordance with the law and this Policy, such students must utilize this storage option or otherwise store their firearms off campus. Storage and retrieval of such firearms pursuant to this Section shall be in accordance with the rules and procedures of the University Police Department. Any and all rules utilized by the University Police Department regarding storage and retrieval of firearms must be consistent with this Policy. Students storing their firearms with the Police Department pursuant to this Section shall contact the Police Department to make arrangements in advance of bringing any firearms onto University property.
- Prohibited Areas/Signage
The University shall post signs in conformance with the design approved by the Illinois Department of State Police at all entrances to the University indicating the prohibition of firearms. Unless otherwise provided herein or by applicable law, the failure of the University to post a sign in accordance with this paragraph shall not comprise a defense to a charge of violation of this policy and any applicable sanction.
In the event the University chooses to designate a parking area as off limits to firearms, temporarily or permanently, it shall post a sign in conformance with the design approved by the Illinois Department of State Police at the entrance(s) of the parking area.
- Notwithstanding any other provision of this Policy, as to persons licensed by the State of Illinois to carry a concealed handgun and provided that such persons are otherwise in compliance with the Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry Act and this Policy, the failure of the University to place a sign at the entrance to a parking area the University wishes to designate as off limits to firearms shall be considered a defense to the charge by the University of bringing a handgun into that parking area in violation of this Policy.
- Students in violation of this policy are subject to discipline under the Student Conduct Code, including without limitation expulsion or suspension. Students in violation of this policy may also be referred to law enforcement and/or the Office of the State’s Attorney for prosecution.
- Employees in violation of this policy are subject to discipline, including without limitation, termination of employment, to be administered in accordance with University policies and any applicable collective bargaining agreements, and may also be referred to law enforcement and/or the Office of the State’s Attorney for prosecution.
- Any other persons found in violation of this policy are subject to being barred from University property and may also be referred to law enforcement and/or the Office of the State’s Attorney for prosecution.
Approved by Chancellor effective 5/7/14
This policy was issued on May 29, 2014.
Document References: 2C10 & 3C11
Origin: OC 5/7/14