Implementation Guidelines Concerning Research - 1M5
These guidelines relate to Graduate Council #1-82/83, University Policies and Guidelines Concerning Research and Graduate Council #2-82/83, Policies Governing Externally Sponsored Research at SIUE, which were approved by the Faculty Senate 8/11/83, and by the Chancellor 9/9/83.
- Research is broadly defined herein as including all creative, scholarly, or empirical work (other than that normally associated with instruction and instructional development) which is designed to extend, clarify, or communicate new knowledge.
- The University, in concert with the units and consistent with available resources, shall encourage and support the securing of external resources for research programs and shall encourage and support researchers in the dissemination of results from research results.
- Each unit shall have a comprehensive policy on research activities consistent with University policies on research and with the overall mission of the University. The policy shall be formulated by the department, school, college or appropriate unit and shall define: (1) the quality and kind of research activities that qualify for unit support; (2) the criteria and procedures for allocating unit resources, i.e., research time, travel and equipment monies, space, etc., to research activities; and (3) the criteria and procedures for both assessing and rewarding research.
- Consistent with the University's total mission and resources, units shall provide researchers with adequate assigned research time. The following will obtain.
- Research time shall be assigned to faculty to help them (1) develop their research skills; (2) initiate promising research projects; and (3) prepare major research proposals for outside funding.
- Faculty with research projects approved by the Research and Projects Advisory Board shall be eligible for assigned research time based on projected research aims in the approved research proposal.
- Recipients of a Research Scholar Award granted by the Graduate School shall be assigned the research time specified in terms of the award.
- Research time shall not be assigned for purposes of instruction, instructional development, administration, service, or any other activities not clearly identifiable as research.
- The amount of research time assigned to a faculty member shall be tied closely to the scope of the project and to the person's research competence relative to the specific project, research promise, and research productivity.
- The periodic review of the status of research activity in the various units by the Graduate School, in conjunction with the Graduate Council shall focus on: (1) adequacy of resources for research; (2) clarity, comprehensiveness and workability of the unit's research policies; (3) the extent to which the research policies are being followed satisfactorily; and (4) productivity resulting from the research activities.
Approved by Chancellor effective 8/2/95
This policy was issued on April 4, 2000, replacing the February 1, 1996 version.
Document Reference: 1M5
Origin: GR 2-83/84; OP 8/2/95