Research and Export Control
Implementation Guidelines Concerning Research - 1M5
- Research is broadly defined herein as including all creative, scholarly, or empirical work (other than that normally associated with instruction and instructional development) that is designed to extend, clarify, or communicate knowledge.
- The University, in concert with the units and consistent with available resources, shall encourage and support the securing of external resources for research programs and shall encourage and support researchers in the dissemination of results from research results.
- Each unit shall have a comprehensive policy on research activities consistent with University policies on research and with the overall mission of the University. The policy shall be formulated by the department, school, college or appropriate unit and shall define: (1) the quality and kind of research activities that qualify for unit support; (2) the criteria and procedures for allocating unit resources, i.e., research time, travel and equipment monies, space, etc., to research activities; and (3) the criteria and procedures for both assessing and rewarding research.
- Consistent with the University's total mission and resources, units shall provide researchers with adequate assigned research time.
- Research time shall be assigned to faculty to help them (1) develop their research skills; (2) initiate promising research projects; and (3) prepare major research proposals for outside funding.
- Recipients of a research award granted by the Graduate School shall be assigned the research time specified in terms of the award.
- Research time shall not be assigned for purposes of instruction, instructional development, administration, service, or any other activities not clearly identifiable as research.
- The amount of research time assigned to a faculty member shall be tied closely to the scope of the research activities, research promise, and research productivity.
- The periodic review of the status of research activity in the various units by the Graduate School in conjunction with the Graduate Council shall focus on: (1) adequacy of resources for research; (2) clarity, comprehensiveness and workability of the unit's research policies; (3) the extent to which the research policies are being followed satisfactorily; and (4) productivity resulting from the research activities.
Approved by Chancellor effective 6/13/13
This policy was issued on May 21, 2014, replacing the June 14, 2013 version.
Document Reference: 1M5
Origin: GR 2-83/84; OP 8/2/95; GR 1/17/13