College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Policy - 1K5
SIUE will grant credit to students for successful completion of College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Tests under the following conditions:
- A maximum of 32 semester hours can be earned through CLEP examinations. This credit is applicable toward a baccalaureate degree.
- The score on each General Examination must equal or exceed the 50th percentile on the national college sophomore norm, which is a scaled score of approximately 500. Credit will be granted for the successful completion of the General Examination as determined by the appropriate department.
- Credit will be awarded for a CLEP Subject Examination when approved by the unit offering a comparable course.
- Test credit will not be allowed when students previously have received credit in comparable courses or when students are currently enrolled in a comparable course.
- Regardless of the total amount of credit earned, students will be permitted to take examinations for which comparable credit has not been previously established.
- Students may take CLEP examinations prior to enrollment at the University. Final recording of credit is contingent upon matriculation at the University, attainment of acceptable scores, and the provisions of this policy.
- When approved, credit will normally be awarded for Subject Examinations on the basis of the number of credit hours in the pertinent courses.
Approved by Chancellor effective 1/29/92
This policy was issued on February 1, 1996, replacing the October 2, 1995 version.
Document Reference: 1K5
Origin: CC 11-82/83; CC 8-91/92; CC 18-91/92